Is loose stool a yo-yo effect during puppyhood? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is loose stool a yo-yo effect during puppyhood?

My puppy, Bison, is in fine health. He's turning 10 wks old Apr 6, 2010, but for the last week and a half he's had on again off again loose stool. We're trying to figure out where his stomach is comfortable at as far as feeding goes, but everything that's been recommended has yielded little to no results. We started at only feeding him 1-1 1/2 a cup a day (as the Canidae label suggested) and his stool was fine, but he was STARVING! So we upped it to 3 cups a day (overnight...toooooo fast!) And he got diarrhea. So we scaled it back to 2.5 cups a day and his stool firmed up, but went right back to being loose the following day. It's pretty loose, and I feel like if we scale it back to 2 cups we'll be starving him again. We're slowly integrating Orijen into his diet, a small handful of it to go along with his Canidae at each meal. But outside of what we've tried already I can't figure out any other way to firm up his stool! Any ideas?? (Cleaning loose poop is hard AND pretty gross to boot)
brew1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Have you ruled out any medical cause? (giardia, coccidia, SIBO, worms....)
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

the alternating good and soft poop sounds like an intestinal issue.... Like what debbie has suggested.

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
GSDSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would feed less until you get the stools back to normal for a week then add only 1/4 cup per day more for a week then 1/2 cup a day more if you get solid stools. Let the stools decide the mounth he can handle. Many pups eat like they are starved and would eat much more but would not be healthy for them. One thing I would do is use PROZYME to help the pup digest food better. Go slow with adding more food. ProZyme - Maximize Nutrition by Improving Nutrient Absorption
Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

It's not a medical issue as Debbie has mentioned. He checks out fine at the vet. I think we'll scale it back to 2 cups again then and slowly add more. I also think the recent heat is contributing as well, he's having a little bit of trouble adjusting to Spring because it's his first ever warm season. So I think that discomfort might be stressing him a bit and causing an upset stomach. And just a note, it's not diarrhea it's just soft. He isn't constantly going and getting dehydrated (outside of the effect of the recent warm weather)

Last edited by brew1985; 04-06-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He might need time to adjust to his food. When my boy was a puppy his poop was usually wet, kinda soft. But nothing was wrong with him. His poop is firm and huge now. I still think that 2 cups is not enough for a growing puppy, just my opinion. I know a couple of people with GSD's fed 3 to 4 cups a day. We fed 3 and he did great. Alot of puppies has soft poop, but if he's having the "hershey squirts" then you might have a problem

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lol no squirts
Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thank goodness, that stuff is gross

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah he had it once for about 2 days lol
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

my baby had this reoccurring problem. So frustrating. I cleaned sooo much runny poopy. She didn't have any medical issue either.
What I found w her is that she could only eat 1 kind of food. Even the same brand but different flavor would set it off. In our case, the only food that was safe for her was BG salmon.
Now she's over a year and she can eat other foods. I'm still too worried to try meaty bones or treats as yet. But she seemed to just out grow the problem.
It was frustrating. Sorry you are experiencing this. PUMPKIN helps. Add a scoop to food whenever it's soft. And I used prozyme also, it seemed to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.