Glucosamine supplements - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rex

Default Glucosamine supplements

Does it make sense to feed Glucosamine supplement to my 10 months old and 1 1/2 year old dogs?
They get Acana which contains 1000mg Glucosamine and 800mg Chondroitin. I used to give Rex Glucosamine/Chondroitin Supplements but I read it doesn't make sense to feed it- when they're older it might help but not to prevent arthritis/hip dysplasia now?!

Do you give supplements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to Hatterasser
Default Re: Glucosamine supplements

Thor gets Gluco/Condroit every day. He's now 6 years old but when I rescued him at 11 months, he was limping badly. Xrays determined he was badly hip dysplasic even then (sort of a square peg in a round hole dysplasic). I began giving him the G/C duo at age 5 and a half as he began to show slowness in his movements (squatting to poo, getting up from the floor, for example).

It seems to have helped him but it hasn't done anything to change his dysplasia. It's still there and will probably make him a tad arthritic as he gets older but for now, the G/C duo is helping.
Hatterasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you done xrays?

If your dogs have great hips and elbow, I think it's a little early. I don't start until my kids are about 4.

But if you haven't done xrays, I strongly recommend doing them, so you know what you have. If your dog has issues, then supplements probably should be started early. I also have knees, shoulders and spine xrayed, because it isn't just hips and elbows that can be problematic and cause lifetime pain/lameness if not addressed early.

Your lab mix in particular may be prone to shoulder and knee issues. I had a lab mix that had shoulder dysplasia. Early detection and early supplementation (along with water therapy when she was a bit older) minimized nearly all symptoms.

So I believe that the more we know, the better we can prevent/manage/treat our dogs. I don't think we need to rush into anything -- why give a healthy body something it really doesn't need? But if it does, then we're catching it nice and early.
3K9Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rex

I don't have x-rays yet... The vet told me it might still be too early for that. I was planning on getting Rex neutered around 8 months and get the x-rays done when he's under anesthesia. But I decided on not getting him neutered until he's at least 2. Would it be ok to wait that long with x-rays?
Do I have to put him under anesthesia to get x-rays done?

The black Lab mix is not even in my house yet I'll get her tomorrow! I don't know too much about her health history but with her I might wanna get x-rays done asap. She's "already" 1 1/2 yrs old...

How much do you pay for x-rays?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LDB158

I was just wondering how much glucosamine you were giving to your 6 yo GSD? I have a 5 yo who doesn't have any problems yet, but I'm starting glucosamine supps as a preventive measure. I orginially got the supps for my 10 yo border collie/lab who had extremely bad arthritis. I was told it would be a good idea to start giving them to my shepherd too as a preventive measure. I've been giving Speedy 500 mg of glucosamine a day. The package says to give a dog weighing Speedy's weight, 80 lbs, 1000 mg a day. Since he is not having any problems now, I didn't know if I should go ahead and give him the full amount or not. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sadie - 3 yo GSD (Rescued 2/15/2010)

Bear - 2 yo Chocolate Lab (Rescued 11/13/2011)

Trixie - 10 yo Border Collie/Lab mix (Rescued 6/1/1999)**RIP 1/21/2010**
LDB158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to Hatterasser

Odd that you should ask, Speedy's Mom....I never really noticed until you asked. I've been giving him what is known as an "All Day Extended Release" tablet which works wonders. So I went to find out what mgs it contained.

It says: 1500 mg of Glucosamine and 1200 mg of Chondroitin but once again it's an 'All Day Release' thingy. He gets one tablet a day with his meal. He has had no problems with his agility since I started giving them to him.

And no screaming at me folks that this is too much, too little, just right. My vet knows what he gets and approved it. If he's comfortable with it, then so am I....and so is Thor.
Hatterasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, it makes perfect sense...waiting until they need it is not too late, but why? The point is to give them an extra boost and help prevent it in the first place. Do you take your vitamins on a daily basis or do you wait until you need them? I started mine on it when they were puppies and my vet recommends it to all of her larger breed dogs (and I think the world of my vet). I will tell you that using it now or using it later doesn't guarantee they won't get hip dysplasia - hip dysplasia occurs when the hip socket or ball joint is not formed properly. With glucosamine, you're not fixing bone you're providing extra cushion around what gives discomfort in dypslastic dogs - bone on bone contact. My Brutus is 4 years old and I just did a total hip replacement for him this year. We were on glucosamine and chondroiton from when they were puppies. My Caesar's x-rays actually look worse than Brutus' did (and my vet can't believe he's not having problems) and he's not showing any issues with the dysplasia at this point. So there, you go, it's a crap shoot! But, it's easy enough to do that it doesn't hurt starting early. What you want to watch is if you supplement with calcium. You don't want your puppy getting too much calcium.

The other thing is you don't want to rely on what's in a bake kibble. The supplements degrade through the high heating process that kibble undergoes. JMHO and experience...good luck with whatever you decide.
daboyzmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I started Paige at age six-miracle results. I might wait in your case until the dogs are older.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RexBut I decided on not getting him neutered until he's at least 2. Would it be ok to wait that long with x-rays?
Do I have to put him under anesthesia to get x-rays done?

How much do you pay for x-rays?
Yes, it's okay to wait that long. Only preliminary results will be given to you before 2 years of age anyway - they don't stop growing until then. OFA won't certify until the dog is at least 2. I had prelims done at 18 mos and then additional ones done after 2. There wasn't much change between the two because of the age but they can change as they grow. Yes, they go under anesthesia to get x-rays done. I have paid several hundred dollars for the x-rays but I think it probably depends on your location / vet. I actually need to take Brutus in for x-rays post hip replacement. I'm excited to see those.

Leerburg, as always, has a nice page on this: http://leerburg.com/hipart.htm
Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Speedy's Mom I've been giving Speedy 500 mg of glucosamine a day. The package says to give a dog weighing Speedy's weight, 80 lbs, 1000 mg a day. Since he is not having any problems now, I didn't know if I should go ahead and give him the full amount or not. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
It's telling you that because they usually recommend to give about 750mg / 50 pounds of dog. Usually when they are having problems they tell you to increase it even further for the first several weeks and then cut back to a maintenance dosage. 1000mg for your dog would be a maintenance dosage. With the supplement that I'm using for my boys, they get 1000mg / day and that's maintenance. When Brutus first had his hip surgery I had him on 2000mg / day which was the "treating" dosage. I kept him on that for 4 weeks and then cut him back to 1000mg / day. I just prefer this to even the NSAID's, they're dangerous (have to keep testing for affects on kidneys - yuck).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.