Kibble for senior dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Kibble for senior dog

Ok, Oxana doesn't do well on raw anymore. She vomits it up more days than not. So we put her back on TOTW which has helped, but I think she's having trouble with the 18% fat content. What's really out there that is good for seniors, low to no grain, and low in fat? Anyone know the symptoms for IBD?
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Default Re: Kibble for senior dog

Maybe take a look at the Go! Natural Salmon and Oats? Some of the Pinnacle foods too maybe. I wonder if the vet would say something like pepcid would help her? Sweet seniors...hope something good is found that strikes her fancy!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have recently switched my boy to Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato which has 10% fat. He had vomiting and bad chronic diarrhea. He has done wonderful on it since switching and I am so glad I was given that recommendation on this forum.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

After reading the symptoms, sounds very similar to how she's been. So without doing a biopsy, I'm going to try the diet change. Says to feed a protein they haven't had before. Um she's had all of them..

"Dietary Management: A food trial using hypoallergenic diets is usually one of the first steps in the initial treatment, and is used to verify the diagnosis. The key is to use a protein source and carbohydrate source the animal has never eaten before, such as duck and potato. The pet must eat nothing else, including treats, and the trial should be maintained for two to three months.

If a hypoallergenic diet does not improve the condition, other diets may be tried. When the colon is the major portion of the digestive tract that is involved, diets high in fiber such as Hill's r/d have been beneficial. Oat bran could also be added to the diet to increase the fiber content. When the small intestine is the primary site of involvement, some animals benefit from a highly digestible, low-fiber (low-residue) diet.

Diets low in fat are generally better tolerated in dogs with IBD. Carbohydrates low in gluten may also be helpful; avoid wheat, oats, rye, and barley. Homemade diets are sometimes used, however, they often are not completely balanced and commercial diets are preferred for the long term"

so i guess I'll have to find something she hasn't had lately. oats would be a no no for the gluten (boy I remember doing gluten free when my allergies started and it said i was allergic to wheat. that was tough to find grains!! poor thing!)

have to see what other go! is available and look at the nb
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am mixing two kibbles for JD, who will be 15 on the 19th (34 pound lab/beagle/? mix). He gets 70% Nature's Variety Instinct Duck and Turkey, and 30% Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato and Fish (will be rotated to Sweet Potato and Venison once we finish this bag).

The Instinct is 35% protein and 22% fat, with 464 kcals/cup. The Natural Balance is 21% protein and 10% fat (can't find the kcals/cup on the website). I think that the fat content still averages out to a little more than what you're feeding now, but somebody with better math skills than I have should check that!

The primary reason I switched his kibble was to lower phosphorus content after finding out that he has mild chronic kidney disease, so I don't know how much my experience applies to your situation.

I like the Nature's Variety Instinct kibbles, well, the chicken and the duck/turkey--supposedly their rabbit is sourced from China, so I have chosen not to use that formula. My other three dogs eat some NV. Maybe you could mix the NV with another grain-free, half and half. EVO reduced fat is 15% fat, but wow--52% protein! On second thought, nix the EVO--I like the original and red meat formulas, but not for a senior.

I guess my post boils down to mixing Instinct and one of the Natural Balance LID formulas.

~Kristin
India, CL1-F CL2-H CL1-S
ATB: GSDs Baron, Duke, All American JD
balakai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Angela, I know what you mean about the novel proteins--I used to feed just raw, and my crew (except India) has had LOTS of different things; it would be extremely difficult to find a kibble that was totally new.

~Kristin
India, CL1-F CL2-H CL1-S
Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does anyone know if you HAVE to HAVE a carb for ibd dogs? I looked at a couple of the natural balance formula's, lower than what i feed now which is good. I was looking at wellness core reduced fat but it has like 3 proteins.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think that in order to have kibble, you have to have some form of carb to bind it together, but I'm not positive. As far as do dogs require carbs, ????

If you want, PM me your email and I can email you a coupon for a free bag of Instinct Duck and Turkey. It's for a 4.4 pound bag, so it won't last long for a GSD, but hey--it's free!

~Kristin
India, CL1-F CL2-H CL1-S
Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i should rephrase that, I meant a grain

sent u a pm, still think it might be too high in fat.

does eagle not do the holistic line anymore?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Angela,

Would you consider cooking for her? I cooked for Massie when she was older. Before that she would throw up everything and had horrible digestive issues. About 90% of her problems cleared up after I started making her food. I also cooked for Chama the last 4 months. She could no longer handle kibble or raw. I used quinoa as the grain b/c it has naturally occurring digestive enzymes and is a complex carbohydrate. I also used sweet potatoes. For meat proteins I used ground duck or beef, canned salmon and cooked eggs.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.