German Shepherds Forum banner

Height Growth Chart

448K views 781 replies 287 participants last post by  Hineni7 
#1 ·
In more than one thread we had complained for the lack of a Height chart. We have a very good weight one, but actually the standard doesn't talk of weight, but height.

So... with so many pups on this board we can make a more than decent database to make an average scale in the future.

So lets start. Put:

- Name of the pup
- Age (months and weeks)
- Height (inches or centimeters, if both, better) I'll make the chart for both systems.
- Gender (male or female)

Update every time the pup celebrates a new month of life.

I know Diabla is below average, so she doesn't serve as much for averages, but I'll use her as example.

Quote:
- Diabla
- 4 months, 2 weeks
- 18,5 inches

- Diabla
- 5 months, 2 weeks
- 55 cm, 20,1 inches
Unfortunately, I didn't keep records before, but I'll start from now.

And of course if you have previous records from current puppies or now adult dogs... Post them!!

More ideas are welcomed too.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Height chart

Thanks for starting this thread. I will start recording on Saturday when my little guy will be 3 months.

So we are all on the same page with this here is a diagram of how to measure the height of your GSD.

Top of Yellow line is where to take the height measurement. The white line is to measure length.

From this website:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentoring/project_ideas/MamBio_p018.shtml

#556 ·
Wonderful chart! Now, to get him to stand still..not trying to eat the tape measurer!

Thanks for starting this thread. I will start recording on Saturday when my little guy will be 3 months.

So we are all on the same page with this here is a diagram of how to measure the height of your GSD.

Top of Yellow line is where to take the height measurement. The white line is to measure length.

From this website:
Puppy Proportions: Comparing Growth Spurts and Weight Gain in Your Dog's Early Months

#8 ·

If you forgot the gender of you pup, JUST PM ME with this link and I'll add it to your previous post. I can get in and edit all the old stuff.

That way we don't have to add on new posts to make this longer, and more confusing. I'll just put the sex in the post with the rest of your info.

Reactions: GSDJOURNEYMAN
#11 ·

Perfect, keep them coming!
It won't be ready tomorrow nor next week, but at the end it will be helpful for everybody and will be fun to compare your pup with averages.

It will be awhile before it gets ready, but I will post what we had from time to time to mantain the drives high.

#14 ·

im too late in this game to participate, but in the event you're short of heights in the 9mo range... my boy was 23.5 inches at 9 months 1 week and 64lbs. (currently 25 inches at 74lbs at 16 months, so i think he's done)

#381 ·
im too late in this game to participate, but in the event you're short of heights in the 9mo range... my boy was 23.5 inches at 9 months 1 week and 64lbs. (currently 25 inches at 74lbs at 16 months, so i think he's done)
I'm too late too.
At 1 year Abby was 25" and 63 pounds.
At 1 1/2 she is 25.5 and 68. Pretty sure she's all done since she
is bigger than her mother.

#15 ·

Yes, I'm short on that range, yours is the first 9 mo pup height, but in 4 months I hope we will have at least 5 more

#18 ·

I'll post again at 5mos. I was tired & he was not, so it was a fast measurement that might be short 1/2-1". Spanky, the AmerBulldog, is 23.5". At times he looks almost as tall, BUT she neverEverEVER stands 'short' whereas he routinely moves up & down but is rarely, if ever, 'on his toes' ie squeezing out that last mm of height.

#20 ·
Added

Someone from the board (I think it was Brightelf) gave awhile ago a very good idea to measure the pups: Spread a line of peanut butter on the fridge, while the pup is busy licking it, you can use a pencil and then take the height. It has worked for me.

#21 ·

Quote:I'll post again at 5mos. I was tired & he was not, so it was a fast measurement that might be short 1/2-1". Spanky, the AmerBulldog, is 23.5". At times he looks almost as tall, BUT she neverEverEVER stands 'short' whereas he routinely moves up & down but is rarely, if ever, 'on his toes' ie squeezing out that last mm of height.
RubyTuesday? Are you adding dogs to this that aren't GSD? I thought this was trying to get a database together with just GSD's to try to help with this specific breed.

#22 ·

Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee
Quote:I'll post again at 5mos. I was tired & he was not, so it was a fast measurement that might be short 1/2-1". Spanky, the AmerBulldog, is 23.5". At times he looks almost as tall, BUT she neverEverEVER stands 'short' whereas he routinely moves up & down but is rarely, if ever, 'on his toes' ie squeezing out that last mm of height.
RubyTuesday? Are you adding dogs to this that aren't GSD? I thought this was trying to get a database together with just GSD's to try to help with this specific breed.
I could be wrong, but my impression is that Spanky the AB was justbeing used as a comparrison to the other pup. Saying that Spanky is 23.5" and that at times Spanky and the other pup look almost the same height.

#25 ·

Black GSD, you got it exactly right. I only measured Spanky, the AB, as a rough double check on the measurement I got for Djibouti. I didn't intend Spanky's measurements to be included in the data. Djibouti is a pb GSD.

MaggieRoseLee, my apologies for the confusion. If you want to delete/edit the confounding post, please do so. I didn't realize my comparison would be misconstrued. I thought the mention of Spanky's breed, & the lack of age/weight info, would clarify that her measurement wasn't intended for inclusion with the strictly GSD data.

#26 ·

Don't worry, I understand what you wanted to say. But I haven't added your pup yet, because I need something more precise to be added at the chart for it to be as accurate as possible, even whan, as I said before this is nothing scientific at all.