German Shepherds Forum banner

Is bringing my 5 month pup too early for socialization?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  semcat66 
#1 ·
MY pup Juneau is 5 months and he has a really bad habit of barking at other dogs. When I took him to the dog park he barked like crazy. When he sees other dogs he starts barking a lot and it is hard to stop him, but it doesn't seem like a violent bark because when he approaches the dogs he smiles. What I was thinking is that he doesn't see dogs a lot? He has an older brother at home who is a pitbull/rottie and they love playing with each other. But other than his brother Angelo, he barks at a lot of dogs. I was thinking maybe he needs to see more dogs? I honestly don't know. I am also thinking about getting Juneau obedience classes or want to start teaching myself. Please help and thank you in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Classes are good, a puppy specific class would be best. Dog parks are a BAD idea, anywhere there's a number of unfamiliar unleashed dogs is bad. Dog parks would be perfect if there were only socialized adult dogs, no toys and watchful owners, but even bringing a socialized adult dog you're exposing them to untrained dogs and owners who don't keep an eye on their dog. Your pup could get worse if put in a situation where untrained dogs are with him.

#3 ·
More dogs ... is really not the way to go. If he already has a good doggie freind call it good and don't take the risk of having your dogs have a uh ... bad encounter. There are some dogs that should not be at "Dog Parks" and you might not who they are until it's to late. There are some articles and clips you should take a look at in here.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

Welcome aboard and handsome boy you have there. :)

#4 · (Edited)
My experience is puppy socialization groups are great. Dog parks are bad news with many humans who are not watching there bully dogs is a recipe for disaster. Socialize your dog with friend dogs one to one or in a puppy play groups. I work at a middle school and dog parks remind me of bullies on the school yard who gang up on one ...Beautiful pup you got ...keep him in the positive scenarios because the dog park is not worth the risk. Find a local Schutzhund/ German shepherd club in your area for advice and training classes(they get and understand our GSD breed)

#8 ·
I agree that dog parks are not where I would go to socialize a pup. Our daycare facility has a "puppy play yard" two days a week. Once they've evaluated each pup's temperament and done a 2 hour meet and greet evaluation, the pups all play together for the day. They have staff there that continually check on all the dogs that are there for daycare and the puppy yard is the closet to the office so it can been seen from inside.

Reactions: Chip18
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.