German Shepherds Forum banner

12 weeks back arch

8K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've recently brought home another puppy but the way she walks is giving me concern. Below are some of her pictures. The back (just above the tail) seem to have an unusual arch. What do you guys think?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
conformation is so important -- and I am not talking about anything having to do with Show - of any type - just plain , "design" which brings balance and function to the dog .

this dog does not have this harmonious good conformation. It is what it is. You can't do anything about it .
The breeder can ! By educating him/her self about the rhyme and reasons for a functional standard.

This dog looks like two different dogs joined together . His front belonging to one, the rear to another. Or a front belonging to a younger dog , and the rear is 2 months ahead in growth.
The defining line is a line drawn at the last rib of the rib cage.

His croup is short and steep. He is able to drive more in the rear than his front can open up to allow him to move forward .

You can't do anything. You didn't create the problem . You do have to recognize this as a functional handicap and not expect the dog to do something which he can not do. He didn't create the problem either. He inherited this.

#9 · (Edited)
My female Luna has the sort of the same type of back but her brother doesn't. I was wondering about it as I was bathing her the other day and it doesn't affect her walking or running. The only funny thing that she does when running she seems to leap with her front legs but no pain, not anything. Actually Luna seems worse than your dog, I'm not familiar with it unfortunately. I'm going to lurk in this thread though because I'm curious myself!

EDIT: She was just at six months in that picture

Attachments

#11 ·
So is there anything we're going to have to look out for our dogs then? Like elbow problems or anything in the front? I should try to get a better more recent picture with Luna. What should we do to lessen any burden that could come up with them. Do any dogs grow out of it or with training work it out or lessen the problem?

Below I'm posting a picture of her brother, where you definitely can see how different her back is to his. Same age. Some litter.

Attachments

#12 ·
Asking so that I can be educated. If this puppy is only 12 weeks old - could this back issue actually straighten out at some point in time?

I am curious because I raised a filly who had growth spurts - one week she was butt high and the next week she was wither high. In the end it all sorted out really well. So do dogs do the same thing? I have had many puppies but never a GSD. I don't recall ever having a puppy that had growth spurts to where one week their butt was high and the next week it was sitting low but then again that was over 15 years ago and my memory isn't what it used to be.

#13 ·
See her's might do that being that it's so young, but what about mine who is now almost 7 months and still suffering from this problem? I've never seen her grow out of it and then go back to it. It's been consistent. Maybe the OP will get lucky if it he can grow out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.