German Shepherds Forum banner

Front Leg Development

15K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  memo7351 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Everyone,

I want to know what is this case called, What are reasons behind it, How could it affect my dog and How to cure or fix it?

The dog age is 9 months, gender is male and weight is almost 30 kg.

Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
if anything the dog's pasterns are too straight .

there should be some angulation so that the load bearing front has some flex which allows for impact absorption when landing on front (jumping) and for rapid changes of direction .

this front is terrier like .

I do see some swelling , no lets not call it swelling because that usually is soft tissue , lets look at this as a bowing out or a slight curvature of the forelimb just about the carpus (wrist) involving the area where the radius and ulna meet.

In the picture where he is sitting you can see a bumping out or thickening of the "wrist" on the inside of the leg , moreso on his left leg.

That merging of the radius and ulna with the carpus is where there would be a growth plate. The leg grows from the ends .

When there is some trauma -- either due to poor conformation for function, or excessive pounding exercise at too young an age -- soft growth plate gets bruised and closes too early .

The radius and ulna are still growing , but not at that end of the forelimb so the bone develops into this curve - the foot deviates outward.

Your dog has a minor deviation so not a great concern but take this into consideration when exercising him -- not an endurance type activity and no abrupt twists and turns . Not because he can't do them but you want to prevent damage , inflammation , and eventually arthritic changes .

Consider anti inflammatory foods as part of the diet .

Can you do a full side view of your dog?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.