Growth spurt possible after 8 months? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Growth spurt possible after 8 months?

I have a 1/2 GSD, 1/2 Dutch shepherd puppy. She will be 8 months this week.

Up until age 6 months she was gaining anywhere from 1.5- 3 lbs /week and growing in height. At 6 months she was about 22" at the withers and 46 lbs. I sent her to a trainer for 3 weeks. When she came back she had not grown more than 1/2" in height and had lost nearly 4 lbs. I was not happy.

It's now been about 4 weeks since I got her back and she is just over 50 lbs. but has not grown in height at all.

Both her parents were substantially larger than my dog. The GSD sire was at least 75#. The Dutch shepherd mother looked to be minimum 55# and definitely taller than my dog. Two male litter mates of my dog are much larger as is a brother from an earlier litter. The litter mates look exactly like my dog, except that they are what I'd consider to be normal size.

My dog still looks like a young puppy! People think she is 5-6 months old. Vet thinks she may have a growth spurt, but I'm not finding much about puppies growing significantly in height after 8 months.

I love my dog, but she looks SO tiny to me! Has anyone had a dog like this that had a significant growth spurt in height after 8 months??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Elite Member

Well you have a mix bred puppy, so anything is possible. You mention males being larger, they usually are. Mom is 55#, your puppy being female will probably also top out here. I am hoping she is still intact? It is normal for a dog to drop weight when it leaves its home for training.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Master Member

I don't know about height but my last 2 GSDs were 77 and 85 pounds at 8 months old and were 95 and 96 pounds at 2 years old.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Knighted Member

Yes they do grow in fits and starts into the second year.Oftentimes they are pretty awkward looking until they reach their final height and get some muscle mass.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Yes they do grow in fits and starts into the second year.Oftentimes they are pretty awkward looking until they reach their final height and get some muscle mass.
My GSD went through a major growth spurt at 14 months. He looked like an odd dachshund for a while. His body grew in length for a while; then finally, his legs got longer. Lastly, his head widened. At the end of the growth spurt, he looked beautifully proportioned. You would never guess he had been the runt of the litter.

Moriah
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Elite Member

i think they slow down a lot at about 8 months but they will still grow. She sounds like with the mix she has already entered the range of normal. Remember that the little ones can pack a punch as much as the big ones and they are agile and quick. I love my 65 lb male Dutch.
JG! likes this.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Well she is definitely agile and quick. And she's beautiful and smart, too. It's just her tiny size that kind of bothers me. Particularly after learning that two of her male litter mates are 60 and 70 lbs. respectively, and much larger overall.
I'm less interested in weight gain than height gain. She is short! She also doesn't even look like she weighs 50 lbs, which I suppose is a testament to her fitness/musculature.
I have never seen either a GSD or DS this small. I know DS are supposed to be medium size and that technically she is in within the normal range for females, but considering the size of her parents and all the other family members I've seen at her age or older, I'm a bit frustrated and confused as to how she would end up so much smaller.
Her mother was probably closer to 60# and substantially larger than my dog.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Vet saw her last week and after feeling her legs, said she has more growing to do. I don't know if he means a cm or a some actual inches. Either way, she has literally not grown even a cm for 2 months!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

After multiple vet visits, a 6th round of dewormer (chronic tapeworm problem), and major dietary changes (had an ongoing GI issue), Grendel is now gaining weight again. She put on 2 lbs in a week and is now close to 53 lbs. However, still no height change.

She also just went into her first (and only!) heat last week.

I did not realize that when calculating a puppy's age in months that one goes by the birth date. I was counting weeks and dividing by 4, which would have put her around 8.5 months old now. However, if using standard calculation, she won't even hit 8 months until last week in July. So maybe there is some chance of more height. That said, I find it difficult to imagine that after 2.5 months she will suddenly get taller. But I'll keep my fingers crossed....
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:27 PM
Crowned Member

you also need to remember that she won't finish growing in height until closer to 18 months old, give or take. longer if you spay her before she is fully mature.
she likely won't be fully grown until between 3 -4 years old.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:04 PM

She still has at least another 8 months of growing to do. It will slow down but she should still grow. I find that Royal Canin German Shepherd puppy food made my brothers dog grow the most. This could be a bad thing if they grow too fast, but you can give it a try I'm sure it wont hurt for a month or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page