German Shepherds Forum banner

Public Places?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  atomic 
#1 ·
Jax is a little over 3.5 months. I've taken him for walks around the neighborhod, but it hasn't really resulted in much socialization. He's gotten 3 out 4 puppy shots. He got his 3rd one a week ago. At this point, would it be okay to take him to places that have a high concentration of other people and dogs?

#3 ·
That is a great article. The other I saw it come up in my memories on fb from two years ago and had to re-post it.

#8 ·
He's gotten 3 out 4 puppy shots. He got his 3rd one a week ago. At this point, would it be okay to take him to places that have a high concentration of other people and dogs?
I wouldn't. But I play "better safe than sorry". Lots of other very responsible owners don't even get all of the puppy shots and opt for a titer instead. It's really up to you.

As others have said, you're better off exposing him to ANY situation you can at home or in safe places. Noises, trash cans, walking on odd surfaces, finding things, meeting safe people and dogs... There are unlimited things you can do while waiting for the last shots... And here's something I learned... The vaccines can take up to 2 weeks to be effective.

I don't let my puppy interact with other puppies during class. He does interact with others in "daycare" under the supervision of my trainer. But she knows the temperaments of all dogs involved. He's now past the 2 week effective point, so I'll be widening our exposure, but I'm not going to put him with dogs I don't know.

#9 ·
For me and my dogs, when my dog was a pup I would go to places with higher concentration of people and things and not of dogs. Going to Home Depot or Lowes is the best. Remember that socialization is not about other dogs but environments and experiences and surfaces. A few other dogs but the other things are more important in my view.

#10 ·
Yes a lot of great noises and and large equipment at Home Depot /lowes. I like to hide hot dogs around and let them find it. Keeps them busy. Beaches that allow dogs to was always my favorite place seem to be a mass amount of germAn shepherd people who either had or own one. Outlets and strip malls was another great place.

#12 ·
I thought home depot was the ticket when my pup wasn't done his vax, but once ee were there I saw SO much dog poop on every grassy area, old, new...I panicked and picked him up and carried him out of there. My advice: check first and stay on the pavement.

Puppy class was great for mine. The instructor was responsible about very carefully matched, short, suprvised play and mostly all on leash. My boy had to go with the little puppies because he was intimidated by the ones his size!!!!! So here is this behemoth GSD trying to play with this 5 pound mop that is actually a puppy. He was so gentle though. If they moved toward him he would back up lol. By the end of class he actualoy did play with the bigger kids.

I thought it was very important for him to see all the different sizes and shapes of other dogs.

#13 ·
I thought home depot was the ticket when my pup wasn't done his vax, but once ee were there I saw SO much dog poop on every grassy area, old, new...I panicked and picked him up and carried him out of there. My advice: check first and stay on the pavement.
staying on the pavement isn't safe if those other possibly unvaxed dogs have walked there.
Pups who haven't finished their shots go in the cart or carried at my house.

#15 · (Edited)
Town Hall, Police Dept, Fire Dept, train station parking lots, liquor store(but only in the mornings-early after noon), bank, grocery store parking lot. Any local sports game event (if allowed).

I've used all of these to socialize my boy but it was more for experiences and human socialization.

If dogs are allowed people often bring them to the local little league games.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.