GS Puppy is underweight! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

GS Puppy is underweight!

Me and my girlfriend just got this cute german shepherd puppy a few days ago. He came with CKC paperwork which said the litter date was supposedly 8/8/15, which would make him 15 weeks old. We took him to the vet after the first day and he weight 5.4 lbs. He had worms, and he has had several rounds of de-worming medication now and has been pooping a few of them out. He has been eating a little more the last couple of days and took him back to the vet and he gained over half a pound in 3 days, so that is good! I'm just concerned, all of the growth charts say he should be way bigger, but he is definitely malnourished cause he is pretty bony. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! Here are a couple of pics of Zeus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6246.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	331153   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	331161  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

there is an error in your paperwork.... albeit 5lbs is still quite small, weight aside - that puppies features read no more than 8 weeks old in the 2nd photo.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 61lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Dark Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 57lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 11-21-2015 at 03:13 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Yea I don't think he looks anywhere close to 15 weeks. The guy I bought him from said he was 9 weeks, which is off from the CKC paperwork. Also the vet paperwork he gave me said his first shots were on 9/23/15. I don't think a puppy would have gotten his first shots a few days after being born, or the guy just lied to me I don't know.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

CKC - Canadian Kennel Club? Or Continental Kennel Club? I'm guessing Continental.

My guess is that puppy is no more than 6 weeks. And that the papers are fraudulent.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Continental Kennel Club
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

No matter what, Zeus sure is a cutie! Enjoy

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnorris View Post
Continental Kennel Club
Continental is not a legitimate registry. It's one used by back yard breeders and puppy mills.

have the vet look at your puppy's teeth. they can get a pretty good guess on age by what teeth he still has.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 10:14 PM

I don't think there is any chance that this puppy is anything like 15 weeks. The papers have to be wrong. He looks like mine did at 7 weeks. Keep up the deworm and get him some high quality food. He is absolutely adorable!!!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 02:34 AM
Banned

Zero chance that pup is 15 weeks. More like 6-8 weeks.

What people do is lie about the date of birth so they can 'turnover' pups more quickly. A pup should never leave its mother before at least 8 weeks. Most breeders won't let them leave until 9 or 10 weeks, some i know won't let them leave until 12 weeks because there is a window from about 7-12 weeks where they're forming their good/bad experiences and traumatic experiences such as a new owner who treats it badly can have a terrible impact on its temperament.

For scale, this is what my GSD looked like at 9 weeks and he's not a big dog:

GS Puppy is underweight!-12039029_168882453449252_4182790190783993598_o.jpg
That's him with a small male who is 23 3/4" at the withers.

Last edited by finndog; 11-22-2015 at 02:41 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:36 AM

Age issue aside - when I brought my pup home, took a few weeks for her to start eating regularly, and then she became fussy about her food. Try mixing in something into the kibble to make it more enticing, like a wet dog food, or top it off with bits of chicken.

Follow my adventures on Instagram;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page