weirdly dominant puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

weirdly dominant puppy?

Yes, this my first GSD. She is now little over 5 months old, and I strongly feel her behaviour little too dominant.

She has been very, very, very brave, there has been none "boogies", she does not be afraid of anything. Shes been also very energetic. I was like whooa when I realize she just don`t take even a nap during a long very trainful day.
Once we were like been awake and going to city like 6 pm at the morning, then go to practise, then puppymeeting, home-no nap. ever.

Another weird thing is her barking, or a lack of it, she just does not bark like most of puppies, have heard it like three times.
she barked to the dog who was like barking to her ear for a lot time, and she just barked once.

But now, the dominance issue- she comes to pee on my legs. Like male dogs, she raises a leg and pees straight to my legs, inside the house. Usually this happens after I have command her for example away from the kitchen.

on the other side, she doesnt run of, stays always close, listens very fine and have awesome drives. But I have couple of friend who doesnt like been in the house nowadays, cause the dog just stares them. she dont do anything but just stay still and close to the quests and stares, normal?

When water is out of the cup she brings the cup on my feet. Couple of times she has brought watered cup in front of me and throw it to the ground while snarrling. She protest every time I go to the bathroom or balcony. When im on bathroom she destroys everything, when guests at the house, she brings their shoes in front of them.

She sleeps in her cage at nights, that was the final solution for our night proplems, she does not let me sleep, jumps to the bed, nipping biting, when I was asleep she suddenly hops to the bed and bite my nose.always on the sofa tries to climp over me, doesnt like to cuddle at all.

I know, I wanted hard headed german shepherd but this ones head is like pure iron.

So you, who know more; what am I doing wrong? Can this really be like normal behavior? we have rules in the house, and she respects them still. We do A lot, go meetings, find objects, training..
What can I really do that this is not gonna be starter for a very bad behaviour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 07:54 PM
Knighted Member

If you don't like the behavior she is doing at that moment,show her what you want her to do instead.If you want her to leave the kitchen lead her to where you want her to be and have her lay down and stay.Don't just tell her not to do something,give her something else to do.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Banned

Every time she does something you don't want her to do, what do you do?

What is her penalty for being bad? I don't see any.

Mine gets told "no" immediately. I redirect. If that does not work - she gets a "time out" (she has to go lay down and I block the room off). She looses her freedom and it works.

It sounds like your puppy is running the show and this will be very dangerous if you don't get it straightened out soon. At this point, you may find a trainer is needed to reverse all the bad behaviors she has been getting away with.

I have never heard of a female puppy raising her leg like a male to pee on their owner - that's a new one
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

time out is what I do, sadly she destroys everything in there,
And yes, I havent find it either that some female pup has done the same. Weird, this one just maniac monster

She was far more bad a moth ago, didnt object on anything, she just get the weird "heehee" consert going on when was time to time out. So, she thaught its a nice game, running off, and bite me when running circle.

at some point I put more rules. she doesnt like to cuddly, so we didnt do it, all attension from me came only when she obey. That was like harsh, but did work, behaviour got far better.

For example month or two ago, she didnt ever slept during a day, or when she was younger, always going, even at night it was too difficult. part of her behaviour those days was like normal puppy, but normal pups do sleep!

Now think shes going changes and some weird "I forgot my ears on the road" thing.

That peeing still annoys me. And still nips the guests even when my guest is sitting still on the table doing nothing she goes and bites. this has happen couple of times, normally she just stares. for that I have put her the own place off the table area.

So my GSD lover friends, who have like little dominant dance now, or in the past, what shall I do for that peeing?

Last edited by pashana; 11-19-2015 at 09:47 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Knighted Member

Dogs don't understand time outs.From your descriptions so far she sounds frustrated and stir crazy.Is she getting enough exercise to burn off some of that puppy energy?She needs to run every day in a safe fenced off area.Use that time to play and train.How are her leash manners?Do you walk her daily?
Enroll in a puppy class and get help from a trainer who can see how you interact together and show you effective training techniques.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

thats the thing, we do walks on a leash, 6 per day about, shes still puppy. Almost every second day she runs free in the forest approx 3 hours. (I love the forest myself too), couple times a week we go to the field catching ball, she loves tennisball plays. same time we do little obedience training. Inside we find objects, shes very talented in that. sometimes learning new trics. Then we have puppymeeting one time a week where she plays hour or two with another puppies.

I see no reason for that energy, my whole free time goes with that pup allready.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 11:33 AM

Sounds like you do lots of exercising, both mental and physical. Maybe you have to step it up and tell/show the dog what is right and what is wrong? Stronger corrections. You should also learn the dog to calm down by command and learn the dog to relax by itself (sitting on the leash thing in different environments, do you know it?). My dog also had tons of energy at that age (still has though, but can relax better now), she is also very dominant and has never really been afraid of things and never was a barker. I wish I had put a lot more training in calming the dog down and being more dominant myself by showing the dog whats right and wrong, its more difficult when the dog is bigger and stronger. This works for me though. Dont let the dog get away with things, learn the dog from start whats right and wrong, especially being already 5 months old, shes only getting bigger and stronger now and it goes fast! Dont be too soft (easily done when its still a pup). If she nips the guests, well then she has to be corrected and perhaps isnt even allowed in the room anymore.

The peeing thing I have no idea about, I didnt have that problem myself and not sure what to do about it..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Knighted Member

If she's getting plenty of exercise and is trained in basic obedience then we are back again to...put her on a short leash indoors and show her what you want her to do.Be firm,stay calm,insist that she does as you say.If you can't do it,get a trainer to show you.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

yes the leash training, I have done that too, she is then very fine and stay still, laying down. We have been noisy enviroments, I give him for example a bone and she just lay down eating it, doesn`t care for noises or anything right then so how this behavior could be so persistent still dont know it.

Help needed, how you would react when the dog pees on youre led?
and how would u train for calmness?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

Learn about dog training here;

Need help training your dog? Learn all the best methods!

For place command and leash manners check Tyler Muto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O75dyWITP1s - Place command intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vn1c2aHv10 - leash control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page