Socialization before 16 weeks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Socialization before 16 weeks

Our vet doesn't want the puppy out of our yard until he has all his shots, due to a terrible outbreak of parvo in our region. I was going to take him out in a wagon to meet the neighbors but she said not to do that, a Working breed should never be carted around like a lap dog and I need to wait until he is old enough to walk on his own. I'm very concerned about not socializing him enough. We have people in and he loves that but other than our dog, he's not meeting other dogs. The vet said our current dog is young and active enough to provide socialization for him. Two of my friends have service dogs and I thought about inviting myself over with the puppy to at least meet them. It also means early puppy class is out because it's held in a public park and they don't sterilize the area. I could carry him into places but he's almost too heavy for me to lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

Oh puhleaze...putting a puppy in a wagon is not going to make him a little lap dog. there is nothing wrong with carrying him or putting him in something safe where he can just view the world and socialize.

And definitely take him around vaccinated dogs that you know will be good with puppies! Take him to places like Lowe's and keep him in the cart.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Banned

Parvo stays active in soil and even on concrete for a certain length of time. It does not require direct dog to dog contact to contract. It can live in ground soil for up to a year. It can come into your home on the bottom of your shoes.

If you are in a high risk cycle as communicated by your vet, don't risk it. I have had two pups contract Parvo at the same time. The cost for treatment is high and they suffer terribly. Some don't make it.

Just look up Parvo - how is it transmitted and you will be willing to wait another couple of weeks.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Stone, I'm leaning toward being careful after reading what you suggested. That's too scary. And the vaccine doesn't necessarily prevent it, it just makes them more likely to get a milder case if they do contract it. He was around a lot of dogs at the breeder's place. She was constantly walking dogs past the babies, as her other dogs are in and out of her house all the time. He also seems to be very calm and non reactive to anything. The neighbor has a noisy dog on the other side of the fence and he looks,very interested when it barks, but otherwise doesn't react.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Jax, thank you. That is what I first planned but after reading up on Parvo, I would rather wait. I'm inviting people over all the time to meet him if he's interested. Well, not that often. We have had five visitors since we got him a week ago. Two just looked at him since I didn't want to stress him the first few days. The others played with him for five minutes and then left. There are 7 children on the block who want to come over and meet him next week, one or two at a time, with parental supervision.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Banned

Yes, please don't take my word for it. Know so you can warn others too and can refer them to the websites. Just look up Parvo how transmitted.

Mine had to be confined until 16 weeks because the vet couldn't get documentation on the first shot series so he insisted on doing them over. The one thing I had going for me is my chain link fence in the front yard. This allowed neighbors to reach over the 3' fence to meet and greet and the dogs to see and hear and smell each other but without anything but nose contact.

During the 12-16 week period I changed over to house shoes when I got in the door and had a box w/lid I put my street shoes in. It was not a fun month but the peace of mind was worth it.

With Parvo - if they contract it - there is a 5 day window of time at least when no one can say if the puppy will live or die - that is the clincher for me. Thanks for hearing my experience
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:48 PM

I think If he is generally a relaxed dog there is no harm in waiting until 16weeks- and the risk of parvo is absolutely not worth it. Just my 2 cents. Congrats on the new addition!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page