Solid Blue Coat Colour Changes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Solid Blue Coat Colour Changes?

We are looking to get a new puppy and have fallen in love with the solid Blue coat colour for GSDs . Looking at puppy pictures they seem to look black when 2 weeks old. I would hate to buy a very dark looking puppy for it grow up into a black when I am expecting Blue. Does anyone have any experience of how the colour changes as Blue puppies age? Does it get lighter or darker with age? Or should they look obviously blue upon birth? Thank You.
BlueGSDFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it will be very hard for you to find a blue from a reputable breeder. Blue is a fault so good breeders don't have breeding stock that are blues. If a blue or a liver pop up in a litter, it completely by accident. I have seen breedings on Pike that produced livers but they are few and far between.

The pictures I've seen, the blue is a shade off of the blacks and they can normally tell the difference. They get lighter as they age.

Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a friend who has a beautiful solid blue Healthy gsd.. I can try to get the info.
Zeusthegsd143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

My friends GSD
Attached Thumbnails
Solid Blue Coat Colour Changes?-1424048814144.jpg  
Zeusthegsd143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

As Jax08 said blues are rare and I'd be weary about the quality and morality of a breeder who is breeding for color only. Additionally it would be beneficial for you to share more about what you want to do with your puppy. People will recommend different breeders based on if you want a companion animal, a sport dog, a SAR dog, etc.

Also it's wiser to pick a puppy who will be the best fit for your family based on personality than picking one because you want a certain color. It could be a nightmare to find a blue but then realize it has too much drive, is too submissive, too fearful, etc. for you to handle. Just some friendly advice.
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

A reputable breeder is going to know a blue before its placed with an owner. Its going to be a long wait to get a blue from a reputable breeder, because they don't breed for color at all and especially not for blue. You should be able to find a reputable breeder who has had blues pop up and see if you can be on a wait list for one, but expect a long wait. You also might want to consider trying to find a blue rescue dog if you're really set on it. Again, not going to happen fast though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Blue coats appear to change color depending on the light.In the shade they look black,in brighter light the blue cast shows up.You might ask the breeder for more pics if you can't visit in person.
dogma13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.