scary agression-need advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default scary agression-need advice

Hello All! Our 9 month old GSD girl is very attached to me, and has shown aggression toward our 2 small female dogs. She will grab them by the scruff and shake them . Our dog trainer said this is "normal puppy behavior". It doesn't feel like that to me. Tonight, one of my male French Bulldogs was on my lap, and she grabbed him by the neck and shook him violently. She would NOT let go. When I pulled her away, he came right up in the air in her jaws. He was shrieking in terror. My husband had to help get him loose. My husband thinks he was resource guarding me. If she even hears me say one of the other dogs' name, she comes right over to see what is up. I told my husband we need to initiate the "nothing in life is free". Also, do group walks with the dogs - our other 5 dogs are small. I will call our dog trainer after the weekend to see what he says. Any wisdom here from the folks on this forum would be much appreciated!
maxtmill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes, that sounds very serious and yes it sounds like resource guarding. I would not have a lot of faith in a trainer who says that is normal behavior. She clearly thinks she is running the show.

I would use NILIF very strictly and consistently and also either keep your dog on a short leash around your other dogs or crated if you can't control her. If she is consistently grabbing the other dogs you should also add a muzzle so that she cannot get her mouth on them.

Because you have accepted this behavior it is going to be trickier to interrupt it but you can do it. Personally, I would combine NILIF with counter-conditioning but you really need to get a trainer in there to help you. Your dog might have a puppy brain but she is big enough to kill your other dogs. Do not take any chances.

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

This has happened several times, and each time I have removed her to another room.I wouldn't say I have accepted it, because I removed her each time and asked the dog trainer immediately.Tonight was the only time she actually grabbed another dog and acted extremely aggressive. That is why I asked for advice here. I have also thought of putting a short leash on her. She has shown no aggression towards the other dogs in obedience class, only toward the dogs at home. Thanks for the advice so far. Would you please explain counter conditioning?

Last edited by maxtmill; 02-15-2015 at 12:25 AM.
maxtmill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Look, I know you don't want to hear this but all it takes is a second and one of your smaller dogs could be dead. My dog lives with my cats but he has never picked them up or acted aggressively toward them. However, my friend's dog did this one day while visiting and I never allowed him back in my home again. My dog Kai was not good with my cat and I either kept them separated or him on a leash. It's just not worth taking a chance. Do not leave them loose together, period. You will never forgive yourself if something happens.

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is what is called a kill shake.

Your bitch means business.

I would immediately find another trainer, as anyone who says a kill shake is "normal puppy behavior" has no idea about dog behavior and can't claim to be a trainer.

You have 6 dogs, 5 of which are small. Several are probably female, and now your GSD has decided they must be eliminated. She has even gone after the male.

You either allow her no access to these small dogs, or rehome the GSD, because as she gets older this behavior will intensify and you will have a tragedy on your hands.
Removing her to another room is actually giving her what she wants, because she managed to separate you from the other dogs. It is not a severe enough correction, and this needs to be corrected swiftly and the dog must clearly understand that this is not acceptable behavior.

Get a trainer who knows what he is doing or rehome the GSD.
You are lucky those dogs made it through those kill shakes alive.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 02-15-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 01:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I absolutely agree with finding another trainer. Your current one does not understand dogs, IMHO. This is rank seeking. Several dogs want to be top dog. You need to present with a very clear and solid leadership stand or you need to consider if this is the best mix of dogs for you. It sounds like you have a lot to learn and work before management is attained. So you need to consider if you are ready for such investment.

Good luck to you.
DutchKarin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
This is what is called a kill shake.

Your bitch means business.

I would immediately find another trainer, as anyone who says a kill shake is "normal puppy behavior" has no idea about dog behavior and can't claim to be a trainer.

You have 6 dogs, 5 of which are small. Several are probably female, and now your GSD has decided they must be eliminated. She has even gone after the male.

You either allow her no access to these small dogs, or rehome the GSD, because as she gets older this behavior will intensify and you will have a tragedy on your hands.
Removing her to another room is actually giving her what she wants, because she managed to separate you from the other dogs. It is not a severe enough correction, and this needs to be corrected swiftly and the dog must clearly understand that this is not acceptable behavior.

Get a trainer who knows what he is doing or rehome the GSD.
You are lucky those dogs made it through those kill shakes alive.
Completely agree. It sounds like the current trainer has no idea what they're talking about. This pup is going to need a LOT of training and management if these dogs are going to even have a chance of coexisting peacefully.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 01:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not allow this dog to have access to the small dogs. I wouldn't even allow it if you get the best trainer in the world. It's instinct, you can't train instinct in or out of them.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Several very knowledgeable people have given great advice to keep her separate from the other dogs. I completely agree. One thing you may want to research further on this forum is the 'crate and rotate' lifestyle. It's all about management. It's not easy but with a trainer's help you may be able to keep this dog in your home... just not loose with the lil ones.
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 02:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

To many females and rank drive issues at 9 months!!! Your in way over your head and your trainer is..."incompetent" to be kind!

Rank drive:
(Elements of Temperament, by Joy Tiz )

In a nut shell she sees the French BD as the top dog and she wants that position in the pack! Once he is "gone" she may allow the others to live or she may not??

I had the same situation with my male dogs the difference is my 95 lbs Bull Masstiff/APBT/Lab had no problems standing up to his 116 GSD pal, while I got my act together! Your guy..not so much!

Re-home the GSD or her target (for now), learn about crate and rotate in the leerburgh artical and add one of these:

A Great Small And Lightweight Nylon Mesh Muzzle

Stuff you need to know

https://suite.io/adrienne-farricelli/2t5h2q5
Leerburg | Inter-Female Aggression in Dogs
Leerburg | Dealing with the Dominant Dog

Sorry.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.