Grown GSD playdate for my pup... good idea? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2015, 05:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grown GSD playdate for my pup... good idea?

There is a guy that I'm acquainted with that has a 4 year old female GSD. We were talking about our dogs the other morning and he asked if I wouldn't mind getting together for a playdate with his dog. He lives in an apartment and thinks she'd be happy having another dog to get together and play with some times.

Troops will be 12 weeks on Monday, and he has not been exposed to other dogs yet besides brief encounters with the Chihuahua who lives next door when they both happen to be out in the back yard pottying. I'd been holding off on socialization with other dogs until Troop was done with his shots, and I'm wondering if this would be okay for him and how the best way to go about it would be. Would the benefit of exposing him to another dog be worth the potential problems? I would like Troop to not wig out over other dogs when he's grown because my mother keeps yorkies and I anticipate having to spend a lot of time over there soon due to my father's declining health. I would like to have him around dogs and owners I trust to begin with, and avoid any bad experiences to the best of my ability that might lead to a dislike of dogs for him.

It's mainly the size and age difference that makes me wary, since Troops is ~27 pounds and right in the middle of his landshark stage and his main hobby right now is biting feet and chewing on anything in reach. I know this owner takes good care of his GSD, and she's UTD on her shots and is healthy.

So what's the verdict here, yay or nay on an older GSD plying with my pup? My main concern would be the possibility of playing too rough and the possibility of injury, or Troop's sharkiness annoying the older dog.
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

How well do you know the temperament of his dog or the aptitude of the owner? Have you ever seen her play with other dogs before?

Puppy obedience classes would be a good way to socialize.
Kaimeju is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you trust the owner and can find a neutral place then I think it would be worth a shot. But do not hesitate to stop play or leave if you see the older dog getting too rough or your pup bugging the older dog too much

Play is only beneficial when two dogs are equally happy, and not all dogs do well with puppies and not all pups have learned to play appropriately.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 6 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

As a free for all, I wouldn't. As a chance to work on him controlling himself around a well mannered, mostly indifferent, older female? That I would try.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.