Lobo is 85 lbs, at 6 1/2 months!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lobo is 85 lbs, at 6 1/2 months!!!

Hi all i am hoping to get some opinions on Lobo's size. He is a little over 6 1/2 months, weighs 85 lbs and is 25 inches tall!!! I am becoming a tinge bit concerned about his weight. He is by no means over weight (you can still see an outline of every rib) but he is very thick and stalky. We weighed him 3 weeks ago and he was 75 lbs, then exactly a week later he was 80 pounds and then two days ago we weighed him yet again and he was 85 lbs! At this rate he will weigh over 100 lbs by the end of next month! He has been consistently growing 4-5 pounds bigger every week since we picked him up at 9 weeks of age, but I would have thought that he would have slowed down by now? We were hoping that switching him from a large breed puppy food to an all life’s stages food, would allow him to take his time growing; however he has not slowed down and that was 2 months ago. Lobo’s father is 95 pounds and his mother is 92 pounds.

Lobo is Fed 4 to 5 cups of food a day, depending on his activity level. He gets a scoop in the morning, another at lunch and his final cup at dinner.

So a few questions: How much do you believe he will weigh full grown? Should I cut back on his food intake? How much bigger have your dogs gotten between the age of 6 months to 1 year?

i have gotten a few very helpful responses on Lobo's other thread (link below), but i was hoping to get more experiences and opinions.

My first gsd, Lobo 5 1/2 months (P.s in the other thread i mistakenly put that he gets 3 to 4 cups of food a day; However i was just corrected by my mother, that he in fact gets 4 to 5 cups a day)
Lobo dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, I think your lovely big Lobo will mature at over 100 lbs. He is in a growth spurt right now but that will slow down. Cuting back his food isn't going to make him smaller So feed him a good quality kibble and give him the correct amount for his weight. I would also give omega 3 fish oil capsules for his bones. He is a growing boy and needs enough nutrients. My Sting is big - he is 30 inches tall - 126 lbs at his April checkup. He is tall but not big boned. His parents were 85 and 95 lbs. So at 6 months, he was about 75 lbs - at 9 months 109 lbs - at a year 120 - he then filled out some and matured at 2 years.

Last edited by Mary Beth; 11-28-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Mary Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow Sting really grew from 6mos on! My girl is 76lbs at 7mos (although just a bit over standard heigth) and solid as a tank muscle wise... I figure she will hit 90 lean lbs. Would love to see pix of your boy
Hineni7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both I was considering cutting back on his food because I have been told by numerous people that it would be better for his joints, and that it's always better for growing puppies to be to light rather then just a little to heavy. I knew it wouldn't change his adult size, but wasn't sure if it would be better for him to weigh a little less while still growing he is doing so well on the amount of food that he is currently getting, that I think I will just stick with it He loves his fish oil he gets the liquid form in his dinner and coconut oil in his breakfast
Old 11-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
Wow Sting really grew from 6mos on! My girl is 76lbs at 7mos (although just a bit over standard heigth) and solid as a tank muscle wise... I figure she will hit 90 lean lbs. Would love to see pix of your boy
How much did your girl grow between 6 to 7 months old? I saw a few photos of your beautiful girl, she looks like such a sweetheart I never pass up the opportunity to share pictures of my goofball so here are a few that I took today I had him bark for a treat fin one of the photos, and the result is pretty scary looking.

Mary Beth goodness your guy is big he grew quite a sizable amount (see what I did there :P) between 6 to 9 months! Any photos?
Attached Thumbnails
Lobo is 85 lbs, at 6 1/2 months!!!-20141129_133951_1417306282562.jpg   Lobo is 85 lbs, at 6 1/2 months!!!-20141129_134000_1417306736070.jpg   Lobo is 85 lbs, at 6 1/2 months!!!-20141129_133124_1417306778334.jpg  
Old 11-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

He is a handsome boy that's for sure! Areli has such a deep bark and has it since 4mos of age. She gained 10lbs from 24wks to 2 8wks (6 to 7mos). The first 2 pics at 6mos and last at 7mos approx
Attached Thumbnails
Lobo is 85 lbs, at 6 1/2 months!!!-20141019_133713_1417308036182.jpg   Lobo is 85 lbs, at 6 1/2 months!!!-20141124_115043_1417308069351.jpg  
Old 11-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did he gain twenty pounds in a month?
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Did he gain twenty pounds in a month?
I cannot say for certain whether He has or not. I had not been weighing him every week (more like every 2 or 3) until 3 weeks ago. if i remember correctly he had gained 4 pounds every week last month. So i think it would be safe to say that in the last 4 weeks, He has grown 18 or 20 pounds.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Your big boy is handsome. That is Sting in my avator. Sorry, don't have the month photos. I do remember from that time, that he did grow alot 6 - 8 months, then it slowed down. I was getting concerned also, and tried to keep him on the amount listed on the kibble package, but he was always hungry. Luckily while walking him one day, I meant a lady who told me that the big dogs need more food and not to worry about that or how much he was growing. So I relaxed, and when his growth spurt slowed down, he even started to eat less.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was wondering what day Lobo was born as he and my pup are so close in age and growth. Areli was born May 7th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.