Can being "attacked" make a puppy aggressive in the future? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can being "attacked" make a puppy aggressive in the future?

My 7 month old got into a scruff today with an unbalanced dog.

The adult dog (a stray that was adopted later in life) has massive toy/food aggression issues.

Over a stick, I saw that it made my puppy (a submissive, sweet, playful dog) submit by growling and standing over her. Then without any provocation, starting snarling and chomping at her while my puppy was on her back in 'submission' position.

No bite, no blood, no scratch, but my puppy was yelping in fear and I went over and put a stop to it, harshly yelling at the adult dog.

My puppy hid behind me but wanted nothing to do with the adult dog after that (who she has played with fine for over 30+ minutes previously).

I'm just wondering -- how much does an experience like this affect a puppy?

I'm thinking of getting an air horn now just in case for the future.
arctic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh how scary for you. I guess all you can do is wait and see and make sure you take your puppy to dog classes to socialize. Oh that poor thing. Were you in a dog park? I actually hate dog parks. Some people think their dogs are great and they actually have no business in a dog park. I have mentioned this in several posts but the woman who said her min pins were friendly and liked bigger dogs were actually doing growling lunges and Jasira who was on a leash. ( I never take my dogs in a dog park cold. I take them in on a leash one at a time.) Jas kept flinching. I said Ill leave. The lady goes," no I'll go." and looks at Jas like it was her fault that her little monsters were being aggressive. She leaves with the parting shot," They usually like big dogs." Like it was Jas's fault that she can't control her little " angels". All I can say is socialize her a lot but maybe do it a more controlled situation, like a puppy class and beware of stupid people in dog parks.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

If you and your pup have met hundreds of dogs (why we socialize ) and ONE of them is inappropriate, then as long as you are careful for the next few weeks with only positive and good meetings, then your dog should be fine.

It's very important we step in ASAP if a bit of play gets too rough for one of the dogs. The shorter the exposure to the scary, the quicker they forget and move on.

It's important that YOU act normal and confident in all the upcoming meetings so your pup cues from your confidence and also acts fine. If you are tentative, unsure and NOT acting 'normal' it's amazing how that will be picked up and add (start?) up fear in a situation.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog class teacher suggested a squeekie ball if a dog comes at you. Squeek it and throw it away from you and your puppy. 9 times out of 10 the aggressive dog will go after the ball. ( I know my spelling is terrible but I'm to lazy to look up correct spelling right now. /grins )
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A dog with less nerve may have more lasting effects, and you reaction will have more impact. A pup with good nerve will get over it before you do.

The best thing to do, after it is all over, is, nothing. Check the dog out to make sure it isn't injured, but do not praise or soothe the dog verbally, and try not to react to the other dog or owner, so that your pup gets a lot of negative vibes from you.

Pups are tough and they can take a lot, and bounce back readily from most things.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
A dog with less nerve may have more lasting effects, and you reaction will have more impact. A pup with good nerve will get over it before you do.

The best thing to do, after it is all over, is, nothing. Check the dog out to make sure it isn't injured, but do not praise or soothe the dog verbally, and try not to react to the other dog or owner, so that your pup gets a lot of negative vibes from you.

Pups are tough and they can take a lot, and bounce back readily from most things.
Thanks for the advice.

I actually had to call in the owner for a husky that was EXTREMELY dominant (mounting, rolling my puppy along with another 4 month old puppy, gnawing on their shoulders, etc) after a few minutes. I told him "I think your dog is playing too aggressive for the puppies."

And he got PISSED and looked like he wanted to fight me.

Luckily, it's the first time I've seen him at this particular dog park.
arctic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My Dalmatian was GREAT with other dogs, he grew up in my home with a female ACD mix and a female Min Pin, he also spent a lot of time around my friend's 2 Dobermans. When he was 7 or 8 months old, my neighbors got a HUGE pitbull and the dog would charge the fence at my dogs, ever since that, my Dalmatian has "fence aggression" he will growl, bare his teeth and bark at any dog that is on the other side of the fence, even at his doggy friends. He cannot be introduced to any dog through a fence, he has to be walked with them during intros.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.