German Shepherds Forum banner

6 week old pup has HD???

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  kr16 
#1 · (Edited)
:confused: To me he walks a little funny, almost like his dad (who happens to have mild HD). BUT, could it be too early to tell? Help? I'm going crazy wondering if he does or doesn't.

FYI - This was an unplanned litter. I did not want want my Max to breed specifically because he does have HD.

Here's a link to a video of little Zeus.
6wk old Zeus - YouTube
Pay attention to his walk/sway at the 13 second mark.

#11 ·
Too young to tell. At 6 six they are still learning how to walk and move around. The floor could be slippery. At this age the bones are not even connected to each other yet. By that I mean they are far apart, I know they never really connect to each other.

#12 ·
gsd newbie you said accidental litter
how many puppies were there? where are the siblings?

and is an x ray going to change the outcome? will you then euthanize the puppy or keep it or try to sell it or what are your plans?

if a diagnosis will change the outcome or the puppys fate then yes x ray

but if an x ray wont make any difference in your plans for this puppy then skip it for now

as to if it is too young to tell
i have seen dogs born without a hip socket so yes i think that could be determined at this age

but then again just ask your vet
sometimes they can manipulate the joint some to tell

bottom line is dont do the test unless it will change the outcome for the puppy

#13 ·
I knew there was something wrong with my pup's hip the day I brought her home at 8 weeks. I had her xrayed at 10 months, and I was right.

I do think you can tell that early if there's something wrong, but you should probably give the pup a chance to grow up before even doing the prelim xrays

#16 · (Edited)
i agree
a missing socket or femur head is hard to miss regardless of age
and age wont fix it either

something else i noticed is that instead of moving his left hind he tends to pivot on it
i would definitely have the vet look and see if they can determine something or if it does actually need x rayed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.