8 m old Odin & Osin go to the Dog Fair (DOCKDOGS!) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Default 8 m old Odin & Osin go to the Dog Fair (DOCKDOGS!)

So Odin and Osin got to try out Dock Dogs!

First Osin

Then Odin with a bit longer description of what we did...

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm glad you posted this. I'm bringing my golden in Mid-Sept to his first dock diving event. I would like to bring both him and Midnite, but I was unsure how the handling would work. In your video were they practicing of competing? I would think I need a third person to hold the dog back on the dock for a running start, but I have not a clue.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

llombardo, this was at a big pet fair and actually a bit confusing for everyone. Odin's mom (Sue) and I didn't really care cause we just showed up to participate in the 'dock diving familiarization' part of the event.

We showed up early (10:30 am? GET THERE EARLY !!!) and the 'practice' was supposed to start at 11 am for everyone (newbies like us PLUS people entered). Because at noon, 2 pm and 4 pm there was the 'real' dock diving with ribbons and titles if you were entered. So there was a mix of us in line that knew what they were doing and then knew nothing at all (me and Sue)

After watching, I DEFINITELY recommend making sure the people running the event know you are green and need help. The guy was helping us but also called away to help with the running of the event if he thought people knew what was what. We did NOT so he was a huge help.

FIRST you need to just get your dog used to the ramp. It's a bit bouncy, was too narrow for me to walk up WITH my dog, and all the new dogs were a bit careful initially. my Osin had to go up, over and in the water 3 times before allowed on 'the dock'.

Then when on 'the dock' all the newbies went a bit slowly and cautiously WITH the dogs to the edge where we would throw the toy and get the dogs in (yes, I pushed Osin the first time but when I was supposed to with the coaching help ). Then important to get the dogs to go to THE RAMP and not back to where we had been on the dock, and you can see all that initial confusion on Odin's (the second) video.

TAKE YOUR DOGS FAVORITE FLOATING TOY!!!! I wasn't as prepared and hadn't really practiced at home in water with a specific floating toy. Sue (Odin's mom) had so as soon as he saw 'the toy' he already really knew what was coming (SWIMMING!!! after my toy!!!) and I think that helped him get it a teeny bit faster to jump in then Osin.

EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS if they get a chance. So much fun!!! And the general socialization of the place was great too.

Would help to have someone there to FILM! The reason Osin didn't get much time on her video is because Sue was holding onto Odin and he was SO CRANKED UP watching Osin and I on the ramp that most of her filming was un-usable. We didn't make it to the level that we left our dogs at one end of the ramp so they could get a running start to get to us and the thrown toy. But if you DID make it to that level, having someone hold the dogs would be a huge benefit. They are VERY cranked up and don't like to hold their stay.

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 09-01-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

We have one in two weeks, that we are going to try Tessa at for fun. Thanks for the newbie tips. I've been told that they will definitely work the rookies on the ramp before allowing them to jump. Tess is ball and water crazy so I think she'll love it.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I feel so guilty not bringing both of mine. I'm not sure I want them competing against each other either . I'm probably better off doing one, getting him to yhe second level and them starting the second one. They just don't have enough events
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Della will be just short of 6 months, although she loves water she could care less about balls. Hoping that will change for next year and I'll take them both.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
Della will be just short of 6 months, although she loves water she could care less about balls. Hoping that will change for next year and I'll take them both.
One of the rules I saw was they had to be a year. There might be exceptions, I didn't look into that because mine are over a year.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
One of the rules I saw was they had to be a year. There might be exceptions, I didn't look into that because mine are over a year.
Uh oh, both Osin and Odin were only 8 m! But we weren't competing, only learning...

Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=MaggieRoseLee;5972649]Uh oh, both Osin and Odin were only 8 m! But we weren't competing, only learning... [/

I lied, it's 6 months, I just looked it up. Sorry if I scared anyone. I did see in the rules that if they thought the dog was younger or looked younger then they would require proof of age .
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.