When it comes to Weight, Everyone be like... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default When it comes to Weight, Everyone be like...

I just kind of find it funny when people are concerned if their dog doesn't weigh a certain amount by a certain age. I've seen a bunch of the threads, people wondering if they will have a dog who is over 100 lbs, less than 80 lbs. Most people seem to have males that are at least 80 lbs that I have seen once grown lol.

And then here I am with my just over a year male doing a happy dance that he finally is not only staying over 60 lbs, but is around 63 lbs.

No one remarks on how skinny he is. Any time that I mention I am surprised not to get remarks on how skinny he is, people shoot back at me, but he's fit. So I think I'm the only one who is bugged by his ribs being easy to see lol.

Here's a few recent pictures to show what I mean...

Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colie CVT View Post
I just kind of find it funny when people are concerned if their dog doesn't weigh a certain amount by a certain age. I've seen a bunch of the threads, people wondering if they will have a dog who is over 100 lbs, less than 80 lbs. Most people seem to have males that are at least 80 lbs that I have seen once grown lol.

And then here I am with my just over a year male doing a happy dance that he finally is not only staying over 60 lbs, but is around 63 lbs.

No one remarks on how skinny he is. Any time that I mention I am surprised not to get remarks on how skinny he is, people shoot back at me, but he's fit. So I think I'm the only one who is bugged by his ribs being easy to see lol.

Here's a few recent pictures to show what I mean...

I know what you mean. I was never concerned about my dog weighing a ton. I ended up with a 100 pound gsd. But it wasnt like i wanted him that weight to impress people. I wish he were smaller. But such is life. I think your dog looks fine.
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 04:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

My Yogi will be 1 year on the 1st of September and just weighed in at a healthy lean 76.4 today. I hope he doesn't get any bigger lol

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

He's muscular and lean..beautiful boy. Love the photos..my experience has been that hotter climates make for leaner dogs. They just don't seem to eat as much in the heat. This is just my observation. He's perfect Imo..!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Wow Collie beautiful dogs ! what are the names ?
I think people are just concerned about weight because of personal preference. Some prefer to have larger dog i guess... just like me. Size is not everything of course but i'd like mine to be on the larger side but Fit . I wont overfeed mine just so i can tell people he weigh over 100 lbs but id love him to be on the larger side . Again beautiful puppies !
Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

My boy is also on the skinny side. He is 2 1/2 and weighs around 74 pounds. The vet feels he is a little too thin and should gain about 3 pounds. I don't know if I am right or wrong, but to me 3 pounds seems pretty close to where he should be so I wasn't going to worry much about it.

Your dog is handsome!
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you. My puppy's name is Doyle, the one who is just over a year. I was thinking based on how tall he was getting and everything that he'd be around eighty when full grown. He's still intact and I feed him 4-6 cups of food a day with a quarter canned. He just isn't always a breakfast dog lol.

The other dogs in the pictures are my other two dogs - Myles the golden, Leia the long coat white shepherd - and my friend's dogs - Sully the black lab, Zulu the afghan, Banshee the black shepherd and then Dell who is a friend's elkhound/lab/setter mix. This is an example of things we do on shorter hikes to make them have to think a little and exercise their bodies and brains.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.