German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   Will my puppy grow anymore? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/481897-will-my-puppy-grow-anymore.html)

Samson2013 08-21-2014 11:18 AM

Will my puppy grow anymore?

My puppy Samson is 8 month old tomorrow and weighs 72 lbs and is just over 26" at the withers. I was wondering if anyone who has a male gsd noticed how much their puppy grew after 8 month. I know ill probably get answers all across the board but was just curious to see how many grew after 8 month and how much.

Thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mister C 08-21-2014 11:27 AM

check this out for GSD growth

German Shepherd Growth Chart and Puppy Growth Rate and Weight

Samson2013 08-21-2014 11:47 AM

Thanks mister c,

I seen something similar to that earlier but he's already slightly above the breed standard and nearly at what most puppy's weigh at 12 month. He's grown pretty much consistently an inch per month since 6 month so that's why I posted on here. Just curious to see if he'll carry on at that rate for another few month or will it slow down considerably now he's near enough on the top end of breed standard. His growth plates are still very noticeable if that helps, I've heard on a lot of forums he'll carry on in height until they close up?

martemchik 08-21-2014 11:58 AM

What lines is he from? Who are his parents? That will give you the best idea of how big he'll get.

Samson2013 08-21-2014 04:35 PM

He's from German working lines. His mother was 24" and 70lbs and his father was 27" and 90lbs.

Cassidy's Mom 08-21-2014 05:59 PM

He will definitely grow after 8 months old. It would only be a guess as to how much, but certainly at a much slower rate than he has up to this point. That is perfectly normal. His ideal adult weight is determined by his genetics, which will vary from dog to dog.

FirefighterGSD 08-21-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samson2013 (Post 5930801)
My puppy Samson is 8 month old tomorrow and weighs 72 lbs and is just over 26" at the withers. I was wondering if anyone who has a male gsd noticed how much their puppy grew after 8 month. I know ill probably get answers all across the board but was just curious to see how many grew after 8 month and how much.

Thanks.

FWIW, my guy is 9 months old (11/13/13) and is 85 lbs. Not sure on height as I haven't bothered measuring. Both parents are well over 95lbs however.

FirefighterGSD 08-21-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom (Post 5932297)
He will definitely grow after 8 months old. It would only be a guess as to how much, but certainly at a much slower rate than he has up to this point. That is perfectly normal. His ideal adult weight is determined by his genetics, which will vary from dog to dog.

Perfectly stated! :)

selzer 08-21-2014 07:35 PM

Pups grow at their own rate, and they stop growing when they get where they are going. Even puppies from the same litter follow different growth patters. It is therefore impossible to give you a definitive answer. My best guess would be that a dog is not finished growing at 8 months. I had a boy that reached his adult height at 10 months, but continued to fill out for a year or more longer.

Axel13 08-21-2014 08:20 PM

All pups grow at different rates! My youngest has only recently finished growing at 18 months, weighing in at 50kg and 34 inches at the withers. Although from about 12 months onward he only grew slightly.

I think it really depends on the lines and their parents (although neither of Axels parents where over sized like he is).