The Aid of an Older Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default The Aid of an Older Dog

I see posts some times about dogs who do or don't like to swim and I have really decided that having a dog who loves to swim and also who interacts with your younger dog is really a benefit. My golden has taught at least three or so puppies that water is actually a lot of fun, and he's so eager to do it himself that they tend to just charge right on with them.

I wasn't sure how easy it was going to be to get Doyle to actually swim but it took about four sessions with Myles going out into the water after sticks or toys before he was bounding out with just as much enthusiasm and drive. Myles lives to swim, especially to fetch in water. He's also the dog who we send out if a tennis ball or bumper gets left too far out, since he will fetch anything that you throw lol.

Today we had a big swim event with the hiking club that my roommate is in charge of. We had some people who were passing by come join and Doyle spent a lot of time out in the water swimming. Some times swimming circles so I was worried he would get too tired as much as he was swimming about! However it really makes me happy. I love spending time by the water in the summer, and it's such a wonderful and easy way to exercise them when its as hot as it gets here (lots of days in the upper 90s to over 100).

It is hard to get pictures or video however lol. But I did manage to get a couple in! Nothing today however. Far too many dogs and I was half in the water myself at one point lol.

Swimming after rocks - YouTube

Leap frog - YouTube
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do you swim with them? My older dog used to love swimming with us and our young GSD is starting to but she got spooked by some waves so is a little unsure (totally my fault for taking her in to waves). It's great exercise for them and so good for their joints. We recently had a retriever stay with us and he and the young dog were never out of the water.

When our Huntaway was a year old he went crazy in the water. The first time he swam with us I couldn't understand why he was trying to nip me. In the end I held out a stick or something so he could nip that instead and he pulled me in to shore. After that our friends 7yr old, who was scared of swimming in the lake would only go in the water if Wilson was there to save him. He would go so far and as soon as he got scared we told him to call for Wilson, which he did and Wilson would swim out to get him, which he did every time. The boy would be on a boogie board and Wilson would drag the boy and the board right up on to shore. It was adorable. Not sure if the GSD will take over his led saving role, maybe one day.

This was him on one of his last real swims a couple of years ago.

The Aid of an Older Dog-imageuploadedbypg-free1407058227.890417.jpgThe Aid of an Older Dog-imageuploadedbypg-free1407058254.809894.jpgThe Aid of an Older Dog-imageuploadedbypg-free1407058267.109566.jpgThe Aid of an Older Dog-imageuploadedbypg-free1407058280.567193.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Amurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Too cute! I do swim with them. It is hard because my golden gets concerned and half swims on top of me some days lol. He also will offer to pull you into shore if he sees you out there. I couldn't ask for a better boy.

Doyle got to see people swimming the first time with him yesterday and he seemed perplexed for a second before he forgot about it and just kept swimming.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Today he was leaping into the water and dragging branches longer than his body through a current and up onto the shore lol. He really is fearless when it comes to things like that. Water is no problem at all to him. He kept biffing it too trying to move too quick over slick ground the dweeb. Puppies. They are certain that they are indestructible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.