German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   Almost 7 months.. Possible HD? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/461593-almost-7-months-possible-hd.html)

mamatolaceynchief 06-18-2014 09:52 AM

Almost 7 months.. Possible HD?

I have been questioning for a while if my little Chief has HD or not.. There is things that I have noticed that seem odd to me, being my first GSD.. it makes me want to go get X-Ray for him. Although I don't know if they would be able to tell at 7 months or not?

-He doesn't run a lot.. or runs slow or run sideways
-Runs with his 2 back legs together
-He sits like a frog
-He's slow getting up from his bed

Those are the major things I have noticed.. should I get an X-Ray done? It could be a mild case but I would rather get it taken care of now.. he is 54 lbs at almost 7 months old.

Shade 06-18-2014 09:56 AM

It never hurts to get xrays done, it will give you peace of mind and diagnose any problem if there is any. It's always better to catch a problem earlier rather then later

Alice13 06-18-2014 12:00 PM

Running sideways are normal for puppies and as far as I know gsds tend to do the frog sit a lot. My almost 7 months pup does that too. I remember how worried I got a few months back when I discovered that they are signs of hd. I almost took her for an x-ray but I was told by a friend that these traits are normal in gsd pups and my pup is too young for the vet to say if she has hd or not from an x-ray. I was told that she needs to be at least 1 year old for the vet to tell for sure. I am not about the other two signs though. If it really bothers you, then you should go ahead and do it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mamatolaceynchief 06-18-2014 01:36 PM

Thank you guys for your answers. :)

Mwelsh03 06-18-2014 02:33 PM

My 13 month old still does the frog sit and he has good hips.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the way he runs yet. I would work on strengthening his muscles and letting him develop. My boy is still coming out of that goofy puppy stage which can be a slow process.

hunterisgreat 06-18-2014 02:48 PM

You can only really see serious HD I'm told. I was worried about Katya because she had/has the sloppiest sit and down every. Turns out she has the highest rated category of hips PennHIP does, >90% of all GSDs tested. So don't get worked up over little stuff you'll stress yourself out. Go do a PennHIP eval, then you'll have the film to do OFA prelim too if you want.

scout172 06-18-2014 03:00 PM

X ray is better than no X-ray so you should get one. It's better to do it now rather than later in case than can tell. It's better to know you did it.

Mwelsh03 06-18-2014 03:25 PM

Multiple vets I have talked to have all said wait at least a year. Your puppy is still developing right now and will be sloppy until they grow into their body.

Liesje 06-18-2014 05:01 PM

I x-ray my puppies at 7 months. An x-ray is the *only* way to rule HD in or out. If you're worried and it's worth the peace of mind, go ahead and do the x-ray.

Maxil 06-18-2014 05:50 PM

can you guys tell me what is the HD you r talking about , and how does the frog sit look like?
you made me worries