German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   My puppy seems aggressive towards other dogs. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/459154-my-puppy-seems-aggressive-towards-other-dogs.html)

FritskaVO 06-10-2014 07:13 PM

My puppy seems aggressive towards other dogs.

My 14 week old gs puppy has been showing some real "alpha girl tendencies". After spending some time today with our neighbor friend and her 5 month old gs puppy, I'm concerned. At first it seemed like she was barking only because I wouldn't allow her to be right next to the other dog. So I moved closer with her on the leash of course and she at first sniffed her out and did some playful puppy moves but then got very aggressive. She began biting her tail and growling, showing her teeth and just being very unfriendly. Finally the patient other puppy had enough and drew the line. My Fritska finally got the point and settled down but not for long. She started right back up moments later. Now like I said she is only 14 weeks old so she has had very little interactions with other dogs/pups except with her german shepherd family on the land she was bred and born on. We would really like to have her in some more formal schutzund training when she gets older so we are definitely wanting to break this not so nice behavior as soon as possible.

Lwilley 06-10-2014 07:30 PM

Take her to Pet Smart and walk the store. When she starts to bard, tell her no, turn around and walk away. Approach the other dog from a different direction. If she starts again, repeat the process. My GSD did this and the method worked. I also praised her when she saw another dog and didn't work. Piper is in the same situation, bred and raised on the same property and around the same dogs every day. You need to get your pup out of the safe environment and expose it to other areas and dogs.

Good Luck! You can overcome this

MaggieRoseLee 06-11-2014 11:02 AM

Funny how I have a friend in my area who just got a GSD 3 months ago, and THOUGHT she was doing a great job socializing her, not realizing what 'socialization' really is and what's involved. Now her pup is 6 months old and is starting to be fear aggessive with all the issues and she's having to play catch up.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...pies-dogs.html

For me, the day that puppy hits my house, I plan WEEKLY (or more) expeditions involving the car, my friends, their dogs/pups/cats/horses/goats/chickens, Main St, downtown, Home Depot, the park, playgrounds, kids.........................

I am PRO-active with the planning and, frankly, right now Saturdays are my 'puppy' days involving puppy classes at 10 am and then out and about for the next few hours with any adventures I can come up with.

I'm really lucky with this puppy because her full brother (Odin) lives near and we are able to meet up and do things together!

FritskaVO 06-12-2014 09:32 PM

Well today we had the chance to let Fritska socialize with one of our friends GSD which is about 3 months older. She kept trying to nip at her and after trying to calm her and praise her only when she was calm I decided to let her go and see if she really wanted to be aggressive or play. It turned out she wanted to play but the thing is she plays very rough. I really want her to break this so we can continue to work towards the schutzhund training.

d4lilbitz 06-12-2014 09:56 PM

My puppy is 16 weeks and is very dominant. Not aggressive, but wants to be top dog. When he was little, I noticed he would bark at big dogs because he wanted to meet them. I do not mind him saying hi if he's not barking and is relaxed, but I don't let him play with another dog outside of his pack. One thing I do when out in public to get my dog to focus on me and not another dog is bring training food (hotdogs cut up) everywhere. I purposely will walk towards another dog all the while using the food to keep focus on me. After we pass, I praise him for being a good boy. I allow him to see the dog, but with his focus on the food...he could care less. I have been doing this since I brought him home, so out in public other dogs are nothing to him. He does all his OB commands giving me focus. When he sees other dogs at the club he doesn't bark at all, but ignores them. We just had a club trial and had been practicing the Microchip reading. All the club puppies were able to join in this. It was very rewarding to have him complete his commands without barking at the other dogs/puppies : )

boomer11 06-12-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FritskaVO (Post 5636202)
Well today we had the chance to let Fritska socialize with one of our friends GSD which is about 3 months older. She kept trying to nip at her and after trying to calm her and praise her only when she was calm I decided to let her go and see if she really wanted to be aggressive or play. It turned out she wanted to play but the thing is she plays very rough. I really want her to break this so we can continue to work towards the schutzhund training.

Why can't your dog train in schutzhund if she plays rough?

FritskaVO 06-12-2014 10:38 PM

Im definitely going to have to expose her to a lot more. Ive been fearful of taking her out to much and meeting other dogs due to not wanting her to get sick with parvo or anything of the sort. Shes 14 weeks today and im really going to have to start taking her to stores with me. My wife did take her on a walk around the neighborhood and her rear paw pads were raw and its made me hesitant to walk her around the neighborhood again. She does great with her obedience training and is very focused when she knows I have the food and its training time. I did have treats with me today and she totally ignored the dog unless she got really close. With people she seems to do ok I just have to break out of the fear of her getting sick.

FritskaVO 06-12-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 5636442)
Why can't your dog train in schutzhund if she plays rough?

She can train in schutzhund but from my understanding part of the BH assessment they grade your dog on how they react with people and other dogs around. Im sure she will break out of this. The reason for my concern is this is the first dog that I have had that can actually serve a purpose. Its not a lap dog its an actual working breed and me and my wife just love GSDs. Ive never had this motivation to train and work with a dog until we got Fritska and seeing how great she is and how fast she learns is just amazing. Im sure its just the way the breed is but it enhances my love for them.

boomer11 06-12-2014 10:48 PM

Lol she's 14 weeks.

If you want to socialize and train your pup then join a schutzhund club. Don't take the incredibly horrible advice posted above and take your dog to petsmart to socialize.

SuperG 06-12-2014 11:11 PM

The temperament of a dog is too often measured in regards to interaction between the dog/pup and human....dog on dog interaction is overlooked too often in the beginning. Positive reinforcement for coexistence among it's peers is equally as important.... leadership through discipline and unfaltering obedience will make a substantial difference. The potential for either side of the spectrum seems to create problems....a fearful pup versus an "aggressive" pup versus it's peers....many times is one and the same....as you have described....but dominance is always trumped by leadership....if in fact it exists.

At the end of the day, if a dog's temperament is of a certain nature....then you have more of a job to accomplish. Sometimes, in order to break the negative behavior you are witnessing....the remedy is quite the opposite one might imagine...

SuperG