German Shepherds Forum banner

5 month old male- not reacting right to other dogs?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  petite 
#1 ·
I have a 5 month old male shepherd and the other day a dog off leash ran up to us and my dog flipped out.. growling and crying and showing teeth and throwing his body all over the place. He goes to petsmart with me all the time and does fine with those dogs. He will bark on occasion when he sees another dog and wag his tail but i know sometimes that doesn't mean hes happy. My question is should his reaction to the other dog be like this? What can i do to help him react better? The other dog wasnt any bigger then he is. He is 5 months and 60 lbs.

#2 ·
That probably scared the **** out of him. He may become reactive after this so now you have to make sure this won't happen to him any more and carry treats to reward him in the presence of other dogs so he knows that he will be OK. Make sure he hangs out with safe dogs only.

#3 ·
At 5 months he's still a baby. He doesn't know how big he is. I think he was probably a little scared. I know at that age my boy would come and hide behind my legs if a chihuahua barked at him.

#4 ·
My puppy can get spooked like that too, but I don't let strange dogs get that close, especially not running full speed. That sounds like it was too much for him and outside his comfort zone.

I would work with getting him neutral with dogs at a distance he can handle without panicking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.