German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   My pups bum wiggles when he walks.... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/437673-my-pups-bum-wiggles-when-he-walks.html)

FuzzButtMum 04-13-2014 06:50 PM

My pups bum wiggles when he walks....

I have grown up around GSDs and other dogs but Finnick is my first pup to whom I have sole responsibility! (I know, I know....GSDs aren't for first time owners). So far we are doing really well though! Crate training is going great, he has learnt "Sit", "stay" and"down"...only 1 accident in the house since we got him last Monday! He's so calm and placid. He's just lovely! We will be going to puppy playgroup and training classes when he can get out and about.

However, I'm so paranoid about hip dysplasia :( is it normal for his bum to slightly have a wiggle when he walks? He's so clumsy (I know all pups are), he lays down a lot, but I honestly think that's due to him being lazy! We're off to get his second jabs next week so I will get the vet to look his hips over....but I just thought i'd ask you guys if you think it's normal for his hips to wiggle? Other than that, I don't think he has any lameness.

Thanks x

wyoung2153 04-13-2014 06:53 PM

Without seeing a video or something, it sounds like a normal puppy wiggle butt!! :)

Harry and Lola 04-13-2014 07:01 PM

It could be just puppy wiggle.

Good on you for being aware of HD and ED - grow them slowly, don't over exercise, allow, minimise high impact exercising such as jumping, don't allow fast sprints with sudden stops etc.

Not to alarm you but a dog walking with a wiggle generally has HD, my 5yo GSD girl has HD, she is fairly even on both sides with it and has a score of 38. She walks like Marilyn Monroe, hips wiggle from side to side. To manage her she gets a glucosamine and chondroitin capsule every day. It is important to note, there are degrees of HD and ED, those with mild to moderate can live a happy life with supplements andgenerally won't require surgery.

TigervTeMar 04-13-2014 07:08 PM

this is really interesting to me. my guy started at a trainer and the lady mentioned his rear legs are cow hocked. but I've seen pictures of other 4 month old GSD puppies and they all look the same. is he supposed to have larger & stronger hind legs at 4 months? his butt also wiggles from side to side when he walks, but this too was like other GSD puppies this age I've met

Amurphy26 04-13-2014 07:16 PM

We had a collie with HD and have been terrified our GSD will have bad hips. She's 18 mths and getting hip scored in a couple of months at the same time as getting spayed. She comes for short runs on the beach but we're careful about the ground she runs on. It's just to put our minds at rest and if there's any problems found we can manage it from early on. Our collies bum didn't wiggle and he looked in perfect health so he came running with us from when he was 2yrs. By the time he started showing signs the damage was done. For a while I thought our GSDs bum wiggled too much but was recently told by a professional that she had great movement and conformation. I think we can over think things and panic too much.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

FuzzButtMum 04-13-2014 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll try and get a video of him walking tomorrow, hopefully I can upload it here so you can see and give me your opinions.

We have a medium sized yard, he loves bombing around it.......I should really stop him from doing that then...because he suddenly stops abruptly and runs the other direction, that's probably quite high impact on his hips? Not sure how i'll stop him from doing that apart from leashing him whilst out there?

TigervTeMar - It's so hard to tell, I kept thinking my little guys legs were cow hocked too, but then I look and I think "no they're fine". Probably best to get vets opinion...I'd love to hear back if you see a vet about his legs.

TigervTeMar 04-13-2014 08:01 PM

he has a vet apt tues for shots so I'll ask the vet for their opinion. I'm less worried now than when the trainer first said what she did. I've looked at tons of photos and he's at least 'like them'. but I will def fill you in on what the vet says

FuzzButtMum 04-13-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigervTeMar (Post 5370161)
he has a vet apt tues for shots so I'll ask the vet for their opinion. I'm less worried now than when the trainer first said what she did. I've looked at tons of photos and he's at least 'like them'. but I will def fill you in on what the vet says

Thank you :) Good luck for the vets! I'm so anxious to see our vet, just to get a second more professional opinion on his hips. I'm hoping it's just me being paranoid, but I know what GSD's are like :\ if both our little guys butts wiggle, hopefully it just comes down to the "puppy butt wiggle" and nothing more serious!

FuzzButtMum 04-13-2014 09:15 PM

Also.......I have a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs to prevent Finnick from trying to go up and down the stairs, I normally carry him up and down (he sleeps in a crate next to my bed), can carrying him harm his hips?

TigervTeMar 04-13-2014 09:22 PM

I don't know if it harms their hips, I hope not. But I don't let my guy jump up or down from my car I just carry him both ways