German Shepherds Forum banner

Is our little guy a coatie??

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  blackshep 
#1 ·
I was convinced he was a coatie when we got him (breeder said he didn't think so, that he just had longer/fluffier puppy hair because it had been the coldest winter in 25 years). People here also thought he was a coatie.

A couple of weeks ago we saw a long coat WGSL German Shepherd who was, no joke, the most beautiful GSD I have ever seen. Just stunning and probably what some people would call a plush, as he didn't really have flowing long hair, just longer hair. My husband then became obsessed with wanting Hans to have a mane like a lion. :laugh:

But the older he gets I am not 100% sure anymore that he's a coatie. His dog walker has another GSD puppy client, a coatie and she and Hans look very, ver different at this point. Any thoughts based on the pics?

8 weeks:

10 weeks:

14 weeks:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry, don't think he's a coatie. Normally a coatie will at least have noticeable extra ear, paw, chest fluff.

I've got a coatie. These are pictures of him at 8 weeks, 3 months, and 9 months. Even at the awkward stage, he still had the extra floofs around his ears and chest.

You still have a gorgeous pup there, love that handsome face!

Attachments

#4 ·
Yeah, I am having doubts too.

He still has floofy hair BEHIND his ears (like at the base where they meet the head) but none of the sort of side growing floofs that I see in the female coatie that he's friends with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.