German Shepherds Forum banner

Why do long coat characterics vanish in puppies?

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  talihawk 
#1 ·
I think I managed to read or skim over all the past posts and threads on long coats but I haven't seen much of this discussed yet.

It seems most say you can't tell if a puppy will be a long coat until they are 7 to 9 weeks old. (assuming that both parents aren't long coated and are just carriers for the recessive gene.)

Why do some puppies seem to show long coated characteristics early on and have them vanish by age 7 weeks? ex: The fluffy ears or the slight wave of fur along the faces and back diminish, suggesting the dog will have just a plush / stock coat.

Do these characteristics ever come back again?

Thanks! :)

#2 ·
Many people, including experienced breeders who frequently have coaties show up in their litters can, tell much earlier, usually by 4 or 5 weeks and possibly even sooner. I'm not a breeder and I'm certainly no expert, but I am on coatie #2 and #3, and from my admittedly limited experience it's the fluffy ears that are the dead giveaway.

Whatever kind of coat the puppy has at 7-9 weeks old it's just a puppy coat, which will be eventually be replaced by the adult coat, so that's not the best indication. But the longer fur in and around the ears is a very good indication that the puppy will be a LC. I've also noticed a difference in the face shape, but since I'm NOT an expert it's easier for me to tell in the context of an entire litter, by comparing how this particular puppy looks in relation to its littermates.

#6 ·
I had always assumed it was the fluffy coat that was a giveaway, but my pup is now 5 months old and while not short, her coat is a lot shorter than it was as a puppy. Except the ears - the ears are still fluffy. She was so fluffy as a pup (pics below: 6-7 weeks old, then 8 weeks old) and I assumed her fur would just keep getting longer and longer but instead it got shorter lol our breeder has been in business (breeding, showing, and obedience) for 40 years so I trust her, but I did briefly wonder if we would end up with a short coat.

#8 ·
Here's the first picture I got of Dena, she was about 4 weeks old here:

This is 6 weeks, she's the one with the multicolored rick rack:

And in the back in this shot - the green collar boy in the front was the other coatie in the litter:

The litter at 8 weeks, both coaties are on the left:

And an 8 week solo shot:

#11 ·
My dog was a fuzzball when she was super young. When she lost all her puppy coat there were a few months where she was super naked and looked like a short coat except for ear floofs, then the coat came in and now she's pretty fluffy. It took a long time for her adult coat to come in

Naked phase

#14 ·
Long coat is recessive, so some times you can get long coated puppies from parents who are short or plush. While some folks aren't too picky about their breeders, others are so it can be challenging to find a breeder that meets most of one's desired qualifications. So it's a bit more complicated than just doing a google search for 'long coat gsd puppies'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.