hip dysplasia testing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hip dysplasia testing?

My little boy turned 4 months old today, weighing roughly 33 lbs. And I have been reading up a lot about hip dysplasia. I was wondering when you get your dog tested for it? I know there are a lot of people who wait until they start seeing signs of it.. as in.. hard to get up and walk.. not using back legs, etc.. I was just wondering if they would be able to see any signs of it at all.. very early? I just want to make sure IF it ever happens.. that I want to be able to catch it early on so I can try to do everything I possibly can before having to pay out $8-9k for hip replacements.. any suggestions would be nice. Thank you for your time.
mamatolaceynchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are you planning on neutering him at all? Just have it done then if he's not showing any signs of pain or anything.

If you really want to get it done, you can get ofa prelims as early as 4 months.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it if he's acting like a normal healthy puppy.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At this point it would probably be a waste of money unless he's showing signs. All you do is go to the vet and get x-rays done. You might be able to find a good vet with experience that can tell you right away and not have to spend the extra money to have the OFA look at the x-rays.

If you're not planning on breeding...sending to the OFA is kind of useless unless you just don't trust your vet to have a good/experienced opinion about the hips.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do plan to neuter him, as to when, I am not sure. I wanted to get it done at 6 months, then people told me to wait 1 year.. then other people told me 18-24 months. He's been a great puppy so far but I know when 6 months come he will start getting more hormonal and things could change. No plans at all for breeding him. I got his CKC pedigree in the mail, I know CKC doesn't mean anything but it looks like all the dogs down his lineage were half brother and sister and were bred to have puppies. Even Chief's mom & dad were half brother & sister. He seems like a normal happy puppy, but I do worry about his long term health and well-being. I'd rather catch something in the early stages rather than later.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Where are you located? Maybe someone can recommend a vet that knows what they're looking at and is pretty good at estimating a "hip rating." I'd probably wait a few more months though, probably better to be closer to a year, but it wouldn't hurt to get an x-ray done and take a look knowing where he comes from...
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

You will probably get 100 different answers to your questions here- IF you have a good vet, he will be able to evaluate what the dogs hips feel like at the present state, then advise you on ex-rays, but regardless, like I said, you will get 100 different answers here on when to ex-ray. Trust your vet- IMHO, Bob
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

The "testing" is an x-ray, that is the only way to rule in/out hip dysplasia. It can be done as early as 4 months. The better or worse the dog is, the easier it is to see and the more accurate the early x-ray will be, if that makes sense? A dog that appears borderline at a young age should be checked later on, but a dog that looks really good at, say, 6 months is like 80% likely to get an official "good" rating at 2 years of age. I usually check my puppies at 6-7 months. It cost about $100 where I go.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I am located in N. Augusta, SC. I have been taking him to the vet here in town.. but they haven't really said anything, she was more focused on getting him neutered for aggression.. I think I might look into another vet because he's done with all his shots now.. just to see what direction they go in.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Liesje - thank you for the tip. That does make sense. I know I had to get an x-ray done, but wasn't sure on when to do it. People tell me all kinds of different ages, but like I said.. I would rather catch it quickly and do something about it (IF he has it) rather than just let it go and wait for something to show up and it be too far gone.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

What I would do is wait until he should be done teething. I had a dog that retained a puppy canine, so I waited a bit and then took him in for a hip x-ray and they removed the tooth for free since he was sedated for the x-ray. That should put the dog at a good age for a prelim and give you the chance to have any dental work done if necessary.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.