Preventing Seperation Anxiety - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Preventing Seperation Anxiety

Hello all,

I have recently watched this British documentary where they did a test on 40 dogs and as a result it appears that majority of dogs are suffering from separation anxiety. Appears to be a common issue among dogs who naturally want to spend their time with their pack/owner, but due to daily work and so on, we are forced into being separated and spending time alone!

I wonder if there is a common practice we ought to do when bringing a new pup home. Is there a way to prevent such anxiety in dogs other than teaching calm behavior? At which point do you start spending some time away from your new puppy at home!?

Regards,
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I work from home. Most days I spend less than 2 hours away from Venus. She has SA. It's been better since I started letting her sleep outside of her crate in my (closed) bedroom at about 8 months old. Better with age - although anything within leg range of her crate is as good as destroyed. As well as several crates. At 14 months, we're stepping up to about 20 minutes out of the crate, contained in the kitchen when I'm not home. She throws things off the table onto the floor but so far has not destroyed anything in the kitchen. Hope springs eternal. My last puppy never had these issues. One before him did though...

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Here is a good video to watch for preventing SA in general:

When they have SA, it is however, a completely different situation.

Basically for preventive of SA and management for current SA, the biggest thing is you have to also believe, its not a big deal when you leave. When you makea big dead out of it. Even by saying "Bye you will be fine!" That is for us, not for them. Those words can get their stress level way up. Sometimes grabbing a coat, grabbing keys, heading to the door can get them going/get their stress level up. You need to condition those things not to mean anything but calmness. Offer delicious filled Kongs, delicious treats, antlers, toys to keep them busy when you go away. Work your away up from minutes to hours.

It's not fun having an SA dog i can tell you that much! You sound like a good dog person if you care about and want to prevent SA!
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

[QUOTE]if there is a common practice we ought to do when bringing a new pup home/[QUOTE]
Of course, there is. As older your dog - that harder the issue falls on him. It s known, that some untrained dogs had stopped eating and died because their owners couldn't return from holidays quickly.
But, there are well known practices for all puppies of any breed. Normally people take holidays from work to spend the first month together with their new puppy. You should replace his mother, prove to him that you are a good foster parent and train him certain behaviour inside his new home. It should start early as crating your little one. The she-wolf leaves her cubs alone in the den for many hours, when she goes hunting, where they sit absolutely quietly. Train your puppy to stay in a crate when you go shopping, and to spend the night there for the start. When he's three months old leave him in a Daycare Centre For Puppies during the day, he wouldn't miss company of his brothers and sisters so much, and it is also good for early socialization. Leave him in kennels for a week when he's 10 months, leave him in kennels for two weeks when he's one year old - and so in progression, slowly. Carers, kennels' assistants, all these people will play a positive role in your puppy's upbringing. But, never ever entrust your dog to any trainers, nobody should train him, but you.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

[quote=David Taggart;5302417][QUOTE]if there is a common practice we ought to do when bringing a new pup home/
Quote:
. Leave him in kennels for a week when he's 10 months, leave him in kennels for two weeks when he's one year old - and so in progression, slowly. Carers, kennels' assistants, all these people will play a positive role in your puppy's upbringing. But, never ever entrust your dog to any trainers, nobody should train him, but you.
Man David you always start out good and then take it to far (in my opinion) I have and would never do that!

I did always take at least two weeks off with a new puppy. I did not do Dog Parks or" I thought my Dog was friendly folks."

I didn't do crates myself and my guys slept with me,or in the same room, I started obedience training early and taught them to ignore other dogs.

My guys were happy health dogies without issues.

Now maybe if you have a job that takes you away that's different but that was not the case for me...home with my dogs everyday.

Last edited by Chip18; 03-31-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.