German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   Whining and.. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/430554-whining.html)

kakarot 03-28-2014 12:24 PM

Whining and..

My 3 month n some weeks old pup whines when he needs to go out (specifically to poop) and when I put him in puppy jail for the night or whenever it's convenient for me (busy, etc.).. but when he's in his crate, he'll whine.. and then he adds in this groan like.. ughhh, why am I even in here type of groan. Like when a human doesn't want to do something, they groan.. and it sounds just like that! I think it's kind of funny.. just the way he does it and how it sounds. Was wondering if any dog breed does this or if it's specifically GSD or the larger breeds? I've never heard a pup or a dog groan like he does.

Also, when he yawns, he makes this high pitched whining sound. All the time. Anyone else have a pup that does these things? :)

TigervTeMar 03-28-2014 01:03 PM

my guy does ALL those things :) the groaning if he's following me around and I'm too busy to play with him. the whining if I move away from him or if he's kenneled. and he has the most obnoxious yawn haha, never fails to make me smile

kakarot 03-28-2014 01:05 PM

It's cute, haha. When I'm howling or whistling, he also makes this.. nom nom nom nom sound. Like he's groaning while licking the air.

I don't know if these are bad things I should be worrying about, so if it is, don't bite my head off! I'll take a simple "that's not healthy" and I'll knock it off. Lol.

DonnaKay 03-28-2014 01:14 PM

My 4 month old is very vocal. She talks to her toys, her chew sticks, me, while in her crate or for no reason at all. I guess she has a lot to say. None of my other dogs have been anywhere near as vocal as her, even my GSDs years ago.

Jax08 03-28-2014 01:27 PM

The yawn is a stress yawn. You'll see it at all ages.

Shepherds are very vocal dogs. At times I'm very glad they don't speak out language

TigervTeMar 03-28-2014 01:33 PM

something else I find very funny that you could try is softly blowing air on their faces. my guy covers his face with his 2 front paws and rolls on his side and makes funny sounds. it's good fun, I know it's not irritating him

Diesel7602 04-07-2014 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigervTeMar (Post 5285097)
something else I find very funny that you could try is softly blowing air on their faces. my guy covers his face with his 2 front paws and rolls on his side and makes funny sounds. it's good fun, I know it's not irritating him

Lol.=))

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

sechattin 04-07-2014 01:54 AM

Mine is super vocal too. I definitely knew that shepherds were vocal before I got him, but I had always thought they were just very barky. I actually wasn't looking forward to his vocalizations because I thought they were just going to be annoying, but they're just adorable most of the time. He hardly ever barks, it's just mumbling to himself or me or his toys or grumbling when he's tired, whining when he yawns. My favorite is how he sits just outside the boundary of my kitchen while I'm cooking and mumbles to himself, like he's trying to convince me he deserves some table scraps :)