Found out he's the runt, now what? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Found out he's the runt, now what?

I was able to speak to my puppies breeder tonight. I didn't not get him directly from her so I didn't know this when I got him. Turns out he was not only the only Black and Tan in the litter of (I think she said 9), but also the runt. He had some immune system related health issues but seems to be back to normal now. What should I expect as far as growth and development? Is there anything I should be doing? He's about to be 20 weeks old and weighed in at 27lbs at the vet this past Thursday. Anything I can do to help him grow and mature into a normal weigh and size? Or is he always going to be tiny?
Contego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

He may still catch up. He will grow to the potential of his genetic blue-print. I wouldn't do anything special, just appreciate and enjoy him whatever size he'll end up.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Love him and love him some more
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My "runt of the litter" pup, wasn't that small when I got her -- and she turned into a barrel chested tank! It was hard to keep her under 100#. Sooo he may stay smaller but he may not - My girl was not tall but she was solid... (see comment about tank).
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sabi was the runt of her litter apparently, and she grew to be a moose! In working trim she was 82lbs and around 25-26 inches at the shoulder.

I have seen a good many 'runts' that grew to be bigger then their siblings, so I wouldn't worry. Keep him healthy and love him.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

I absolutely love him with my whole heart! He seriously has been the best pup I've ever met. He eats pretty good and he takes vitamin supplements every day. I guess time will tell his size! Thanks everybody!
Contego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think Dex was the runt of the litter, he was one of the last 3 left and was the smallest of the 3. He's now 30" at the withers and weighs 102 pounds. Somewhere between 5 and 7 months he grew every day. He's 14 months now and has grown 1/2 inch between 12 months and now.

Last edited by Msmaria; 03-25-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

It had been my experience in the past that runts easily turn out to be the largest of the litters as adults when it comes to mixed breeds. Our current full GSD was the runt (only female) of a litter of 8. She was all of 4.8lbs @ 7 weeks. She is now 25" @ the withers and a lean 57.8 lbs. as of 2 days ago. She is just 1 year old so she will fill out as time goes by.
I wouldn't worry. Just love him and fed him well but don't over compensate and he will be fine what ever size he ends up. I think you will surprised down the road what a
"big" boy you will have.
Springbrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
It had been my experience in the past that runts easily turn out to be the largest of the litters as adults when it comes to mixed breeds. Our current full GSD was the runt (only female) of a litter of 8. She was all of 4.8lbs @ 7 weeks. She is now 25" @ the withers and a lean 57.8 lbs. as of 2 days ago. She is just 1 year old so she will fill out as time goes by.
I wouldn't worry. Just love him and fed him well but don't over compensate and he will be fine what ever size he ends up. I think you will surprised down the road what a
"big" boy you will have.
Haha this statement cracks me up.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

My previous dog (a rough Collie, now living with my parents) was the runt of the litter of 6 pups. Based on the fact we wanted a male and a medium drive dog, we actually got to pick first out of the 2 suitable males. Interestingly the other male was the largest pup in the litter. My parents were dead set on getting him because the dog we had before that was very, very sickly (epilepsy, eventually kidney & liver issues, had to be PTS at around 8 years old) and they were convinced that larger pups were healthier.

When we went to see them, I fell in love with the runt. Yes, he was little, but he was REALLY feisty! Just ran circles around his siblings, was fearless and very outgoing. I knew immediately he was the one and it took some convincing but my parents finally relented.

Samson is now over 12 years old, so for a Collie, he is ancient and living on "borrowed time." He is now very slow and very deaf, but otherwise, such a joy. This is a dog who wasn't sick a single day in his life (despite us paying monthly for "platinum" dog insurance!). His older brother had lots of health problems and died two years ago. Samson is the last surviving dog from that litter and the best dog I've ever come across. If my new GSD puppy was half as great of a dog as Samson, I'd be thrilled!

So don't be scared of the runt, they can turn out to be the very best!
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.