German Shepherds Forum banner

Is this normal...? Video attached

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  BorderKelpie 
#1 ·
Before I give my opinion/educated guess on this, can someone explain to me what's going on here? ..He does this all the time...Only with this bedding....He also goes to town on it....Might not be of any importance, or a stupid question, but I'm just wanting to know what's going on....My dog thinking ability is limited. School me please

Hmmm - YouTube

Hmm 2 - YouTube

#4 ·
Buy him some natural cotton ropes, Zeus chews his rope like that with back teeth. i bet his back teeth are coming in still and applying pressure helps him with pain.

#5 ·
Jack has been doing this since he was a puppy - still doing it after many years.
"Nurses" the fur off his toys"

#6 ·
He has many, many chew toys, bones, etc....It appears all his teeth are up...I will have to confirm the far back teeth,,,I'm not 100%... He will usually wad the bed up and hump it, then he starts this mouthing thing.....I will hit Pet Sense up tomorrow to get him a couple things in case his back teeth aren't fully in.

#8 ·
I had a GSD that sucked on his teddy his whole life. He was extremely intelligent, stable, loyal and protective. I always thought it was because he was weaned young, but maybe not. He also would bring teddy to bed. He lived a long life, and was buried with "teddy" since he loved him so much. Now, we have a 8 month old GSD, Jake, I saw him suckin on a stuffed toy a few weeks ago. But just that once. We also have a shihtzu, he sucks on his stuffed squirrel all the time. Our other two dogs (both females) don't . So, I think it's not that uncommon. No worries.

#12 ·
is this normal/blanket sucking

My 2 year old GSD did it all the time up until just recently. He would blanket suck his bedding, the couch, anything soft. It was always accompanied by whining, as if he was distressed or anxious. The video of your dog looks EXACTLY like what my dog does.
I made the mistake of playing with a laser pointer with him one day, and that has now led to the OCD behavior of chasing shadows and light reflections.
The blanket sucking has taken second place to shadow chasing, his main obsession.

I wish I would have known about the connection between OCD and behavior like blanket sucking when he was a pup. I know the earlier you treat OCD behaviors, the more likely you are to stop them.

And knowing that I had a dog with OCD, I would never have introduced a laser pointer into his world!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.