German Shepherds Forum banner

Blue, Sable, or Other Color?

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Kahrg4 
#1 · (Edited)
Cocoa is 16 weeks now and we got her when she was 10 weeks. She appears to be a working GSD, but I cannot tell if she is a blue GSD. Anything you have to offer about her and/or background would be appreciated. She was 30 lbs. at 12 weeks, which leads me to believe we feed her well or she is going to be a larger-sized GSD. Her mom is 80 lbs., but not lean. Cocoa's eyes are light rather than black. Will that change?

Thank you in advance!

See less See more
#11 ·
I thought since she was sixteen weeks old, and since her legs look like a regular black and tan, that she may have a saddle when she is full grown. I know it is hard to tell the difference sometimes between a patterened sable and a B&T.

#13 ·
So from the pics, from what I can tell she's red sable not b&t. Run your hand against the fur on her back. Is it two colors? Sables keep changing from light to dark and dark to light, like right before your eyes it seems until they are fully grown. But even then their coat color still changes a little from season to season, and year to year. Your pics came out good. And she's a very pretty, pretty girl.

#15 ·
I would definitely say she is sable. Type in "sable GSD" on Google images and the dogs that come up all look like her.

#17 ·
Determining the color of GSDs is difficult for me with the exception of the obvious pure white and pure black ones. Her hair color on the tips is black whereas the color closer to the root is brown/tan/sable. Her hair is so thick that I cannot visibly see the color of her skin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.