German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   What kind of activities can I do with my puppy? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/427146-what-kind-activities-can-i-do-my-puppy.html)

Germanshepherdlover2507 03-20-2014 09:27 PM

What kind of activities can I do with my puppy?

So we took Rosco to the vet about an hour ago. The vet told us that he doesn't like how Rosco is walking and advised that we only leash walk him for exercise . He said not to play fetch with him or anything like that until he turns 1. Half of our daily exercise routines included fetching toys and playing chase games. So what form of exercise (other than walks) games can I do with him?

ZoeD1217 03-20-2014 09:50 PM

I'm new so no advice but did the vet say why?? Beyond just not liking the way he is Walking. I was under the impression off leash exercise was best for young pups?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Germanshepherdlover2507 03-20-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 (Post 5238754)
I'm new so no advice but did the vet say why?? Beyond just not liking the way he is Walking. I was under the impression off leash exercise was best for young pups?

He said that if we over exercise him then he would have problems.

wyoung2153 03-20-2014 09:58 PM

did he say why, other than that he would have problems? Does he see a problem already? Is he just trying to be preventative?

mego 03-20-2014 10:54 PM

that's b.s. advice unless your puppy is injured. Off leash is better than on leash exercise because the dog can stop at his own will when tired instead of feeling like he must keep going to keep up with you. This is the same vet that told you < 20 % protein food??? I would find a new vet unless he has some REALLY good reasons for this kind of advice

Germanshepherdlover2507 03-20-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mego (Post 5239250)
that's b.s. advice unless your puppy is injured. Off leash is better than on leash exercise because the dog can stop at his own will when tired instead of feeling like he must keep going to keep up with you. This is the same vet that told you < 20 % protein food??? I would find a new vet unless he has some REALLY good reasons for this kind of advice

he wants to prevent anything from happening in the future. Both the breeder and the vet said under 21% protein for him.

boomer11 03-21-2014 12:59 AM

Why didn't the vet like the way he walked? If your dog has genetically bad hips no amount of babying him will change that. If he had healthy hips then only the dumbest exercises like having him jump up over and over and landing on his back legs will he have a chance for bad hips.

I let my pup run as far and jump as high as his little heart pleases. I recently got his hips xrayed and they look great. I wouldn't worry too much and enjoy your dog. If the vet actually sees something and isn't just guessing then I would take it easy on the exercise.

If the vet is just guessing then I'd definitely get a new vet. Not exercising a healthy pup is incredibly dumb advice.

wyoung2153 03-21-2014 10:57 AM

Personally I would get a second opinion, if you will, and try another vet. If he sees an issue already, that's different and he should be telling you that..

Also, the food, I would be AT LEAST at 2)% and focusing on a good calcium percentage too.. and you should be looking at calcium too.. here's a thread where its' discussed in depth about calcium.. something I had no idea about before that..

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...aste-wild.html

Germanshepherdlover2507 03-21-2014 01:59 PM

He said that he already saw a problem that could arise if we give him too much exercise.
So then any activities that you guys recommend?

LoveEcho 03-21-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlover2507 (Post 5242666)
He said that he already saw a problem that could arise if we give him too much exercise.

So then any activities that you guys recommend?

Yes. Finding a new vet.