Too big? Too small? Or just right? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Germanshepherdlover2507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Langley bc
Posts: 79
Default Too big? Too small? Or just right?

Rosco 3 months 2 weeks and 3 days old and he weighs 33 pounds. He looks a bit thin to me but he's a lot heavier than I thought he would be. So is this a good healthy weight for him? And how much should I feed him? The bag said 2 cups for a pup his weight.
Germanshepherdlover2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?
 
Castlemaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern British Columbia
Posts: 13,706
Default

Yes, that sounds like a normal weight for a 3 month old, though there is quite the range for normal growth rates in pups.

If he looks thin to you, you can feed a bit more. 2 cups a day for a growing puppy doesn't sound like enough food. I'd increase it to 2 1/2 to 3 cups a day, divided into two or three meals.

Can you post pictures? Better to have a pup on the lean side than too fat - but pics will help.
__________________
Lucia

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Jakesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vader, Washington
Posts: 120
Default

That sounds pretty average to me. all the GSDs I've had have gained 10 lbs a month. 3 mo-30 lbs, 4 mo - 40 lbs, etc. except for one we had, but he topped out at just about 24 inches. Jake now at 8 months is about 80 lbs. thin, not skinny. Dog food bags are "guidelines". If he's losing weight, feed him more. If he's gaining weight , feed him less. Take into consideration how active he is also. Just remember for for a growing pup thin is good. You want to feel ribs, and see the last ones, look for a waist line . Easier on their joints . May lessen their chance of pano, and easier on them if they do come down with it.
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Germanshepherdlover2507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Langley bc
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Yes, that sounds like a normal weight for a 3 month old, though there is quite the range for normal growth rates in pups.

If he looks thin to you, you can feed a bit more. 2 cups a day for a growing puppy doesn't sound like enough food. I'd increase it to 2 1/2 to 3 cups a day, divided into two or three meals.

Can you post pictures? Better to have a pup on the lean side than too fat - but pics will help.
Well I feed him 2 cups a meal and I feed him 2 meals a day. So a total 4 cups a day and he still wants more!
Germanshepherdlover2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 25,431
Default

What are you feeding?
__________________
Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?
 
Castlemaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern British Columbia
Posts: 13,706
Default

4 cups a day sounds more than enough. You pup may be going through a growth spurt - just keep an eye on him, and adjust his food as needed.

Some dogs are little chow-hounds, and always act like they are starving, and would eat themselves into oblivion. If he is in good health, active and happy, then I would go more by how he looks than by how he acts to judge amounts to feed.

What are you feeding?
__________________
Lucia

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Germanshepherdlover2507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Langley bc
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
4 cups a day sounds more than enough. You pup may be going through a growth spurt - just keep an eye on him, and adjust his food as needed.

Some dogs are little chow-hounds, and always act like they are starving, and would eat themselves into oblivion. If he is in good health, active and happy, then I would go more by how he looks than by how he acts to judge amounts to feed.

What are you feeding?
I'm feeding him "natural balance".
Germanshepherdlover2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 25,431
Default

I've fed that years ago. Remember that puppies need to eat more than adults because they are growing -- lots of calories, and they have more energy than adults. Between the two, 4 cups may or may not be enough. It depends on how big your dog is likely to be as an adult, and how much energy he currently is expending.

At this age having a little extra on him is not a bad thing at all. If you can see his ribs, or if they are right there when you feel them, give him and extra 1/4 cup at each feeding. If after two weeks he does not seem to be filling out any more, bump another 1/4 cup.
__________________
Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Germanshepherdlover2507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Langley bc
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I've fed that years ago. Remember that puppies need to eat more than adults because they are growing -- lots of calories, and they have more energy than adults. Between the two, 4 cups may or may not be enough. It depends on how big your dog is likely to be as an adult, and how much energy he currently is expending.

At this age having a little extra on him is not a bad thing at all. If you can see his ribs, or if they are right there when you feel them, give him and extra 1/4 cup at each feeding. If after two weeks he does not seem to be filling out any more, bump another 1/4 cup.
Well I'm not quite sure how much the breeder fed him. I can't see his ribs but he looks a bit boney to me.
Germanshepherdlover2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum