GSD Attacked by Dalmatian - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechattin View Post
If an older man walks up to a child on the street and starts screaming at the child, I don't expect the child to smack the man in the face and show him what's what. I expect an adult to step in and properly manage the situation.
Gotcha, Rocky is my first big dog. I guess because of his size, I need to be reminded that he's a baby. I was absolutely my fault that we got into that mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie W View Post
I think that to expect a 6 month old pup to stand up to an adult dog is expecting too much. Your dog looks to you to protect him, he is too young to have the confidence to be fearless.

I also have some experience with Dalmatians and I think the film 101 Dalmatians has a lot to answer for! They are powerful dogs that can be aggressive without socialization, and a lot of owners get their sweet puppies without realizing this about the breed. I have had a male Dalmatian, he was friendly with people he knew, but he was a much more fearsome guard dog than the Doberman and the GSD I have now, and God help ANY dog that tried to take him on. My dal wore a muzzle when he was off the lead, partly because children who had seen the Disney films would run up to him and be all over him, he never bit one, but it made me nervous and I was not prepared to take any chances with him...Some parents out there need educating, but that's a whole different subject!

As for whether you did the right thing, I am thankful to have never been in your position, and it sounds as though you are lucky that neither you or either dog was hurt...
I actually did have a Dalmatian (sorta) in the past life, he was the sweetest thing though...so, my wrong ideas were not from the movie (since I haven't watched it) but from my old limited experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
rethinking "popular" early socialization ---- read this thread regarding socialization

Your pup is 6 months old - a puppy - *if* he has protective instincts, it will begin to appear in another 6 months or so. At this time, it is his job to be a puppy, your job is to protect him from strange off leash dogs.

For safer exposure to other dogs, join a training class or a local club. You want controlled meetings with stable dogs for your pup.
Thanks for the link, will read up on that. What I have been doing everyday was to approach leashed dogs at the park and around the village, ask for permission from the guardian to approach, they normally hesitate since I have a big dog, but allow them after I assure him that he's "nice".

It's been working well so far, but I need to balance my need to "catch up" in my socialization with safe and effective methods of doing so.
MeAko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAko View Post

However, when a gentleman is a disrespected, he should also know when to smack jerks in the face and give them what they deserve.

So you want your dog to take on your perspective of life, right out of the chute....interesting.

I have a novel idea....dogs and humans are quite different at times...... marching a younger inexperienced dog ( not a "gentleman" yet ) into what you just did....just set your dog back more than you will understand and appreciate.....horrible acclimation/introduction for your dog...in my opinion...you could not have done it more improperly if you tried.

Best of luck,

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrg4 View Post
For now, protect your pup and get started on obedience training.
For the first week that I got him, it was just intense bonding, engagement and lots of love love love.

This morning, I started clicker training and we got him fluently doing sits. Tomorrow, will be downs and stays...thanks for your inputs.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
So you want your dog to take on your perspective of life, right out of the chute....interesting.

I have a novel idea....dogs and humans are quite different at times...... marching a younger inexperienced dog ( not a "gentleman" yet ) into what you just did....just set your dog back more than you will understand and appreciate.....horrible acclimation/introduction for your dog...in my opinion...you could not have done it more improperly if you tried.

Best of luck,

SuperG
Thank you sir. I hope you treat your dog better than people making honest mistakes in the internet. What's your training method, kicking us down and spitting at us and tell us what a worthless piece of junk we are?

Tell me how effective that has worked so far, I'm eager to learn.

My normal experience in internet fora has been quite positive and encouraging, people willing to learn and teach each other without being judgmental, I guess this site might be a bit different.

Were you an instant dog expert and a "SUPERowner" instantly? Tell me did you not go through a newbie phase where you learned and experienced failures, hmmm, maybe not, maybe I'm just different that way.

Last edited by MeAko; 02-26-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

My training method is simple.....a young pup having a bad experience is the last thing I want while the pup is still malleable and inexperienced. Once a younger dog has an experience of a certain magnitude of negativity, you are now fighting an uphill battle...plain and simple. As others have stated...an inexperienced pup needs the protection of it's supposed "leader" and a well founded introduction and guidance through the maturing process. Personally, I would rather "tone" overzealous behavior down than try and create "confident" behavior which has been squashed via a negative experience.

Your reaction to my comments has nothing to do with the situation at hand....I posted a reply...my reply is as serious as the nature of the situation you described....I only care about the dog....does that make sense ??

SuperG
Old 02-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

i think the thing that irked people isnt what you did but your way of thinking. of wanting your dog to be a "boss" and put other dogs in their place. everyone makes mistakes except super g. i remember letting two dogs run up and roll my dog and was all over him. my pup literally pee'd all over himself. hindsight is always 20/20
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

MeAko,
While maybe not as positive as you were looking for, I can assure you that SuperG is only trying to give you sound advice. Socialization is a critical portion of puppyhood and any unpleasant tones you may have read into his post most likely come from the fact that many of us recognize that the German Shepherd is not a beginner dog, nor a responsibility to be taken lightly, therefore we tend to hope that people who are owning them, especially for the first time do some serious research, not only into the traits and physical and mental requirements of the breed, but also try to get a good understanding of important aspects of dog raising such as socialization. Any flak you may receive on this thread probably comes from the fact that many of the decisions in this situation were rookie mistakes with any dog breed. But that's also exactly what they are - mistakes, mistakes that can be learned from. So now you can learn from them, do a lot of research, and grow in your knowledge and experience to the benefit of your dog.
sechattin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
everyone makes mistakes except super g.

No...I remember this one time when I was wrong....I thought I was incorrect but actually I was right....

SuperG
Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
i think the thing that irked people isnt what you did but your way of thinking. of wanting your dog to be a "boss" and put other dogs in their place. everyone makes mistakes except super g. i remember letting two dogs run up and roll my dog and was all over him. my pup literally pee'd all over himself. hindsight is always 20/20
Yes, I realize also that, that's a misplaced and childish thinking, I apologize to the board for thinking that way and will correct it going forward. *taking notes*

Am also devouring the link that Twyla...gave very enlightening. I need to relax a bit on my desire to catch up on the socialization aspect. Need to do it right, quality over quantity.

Last edited by MeAko; 02-27-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
everyone makes mistakes except super g.
Okay...in all seriousness...the reason I react to this situation with such enthusiasm is because of a mistake I had to deal with regarding my first shepherd....not passing the buck here either....my wife was all hyped to take our pup to the dog park for the first time....I knew little about dog parks and suggested we should educate ourselves....my wife was rather persuasive and I lulled myself into believing that the DP most likely was an okay place...I mean what the heck...it is called a dog park, right ? Well, after my 4-5 month old pup got chased down and rolled by three large dogs ( just wanting to play ), I'll bet it took an additional 4-5 months to get the dog's confidence back and I am bit suspect, her confidence around other dogs never matured into what it should have, had it not been for that one experience. The upside of this negative experience was the dog did not become fearful aggressive which would have been worse than the dog becoming a bit standoffish and a loner amongst other groups of dogs.
This one lesson taught me all I needed to know about exposing a pup to the world and I take full responsibility.

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.