Axel feels like an Ethiopian cow - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Axel feels like an Ethiopian cow

He is so thin.

Please keep in mind this is South Africa and we are limited to the food we can get.
Axel is 12.3kgs and approx 48cm at the shoulder. He won't hold still.

He's been on Royal Canin GSD junior since I got him. I know this is a **** food in some circles but it's the best you can get over here.
He's growing like a weed but is just skin and bones. The vet said I shouldn't worry but I do. I don't want a fat pup but would like to not be able to stick my finger trough his ribs.
For last 3 weeks I've been splitting his 'recommended' portion in 2 and adding a extra meal inbetween. It's not helped.
I've now started adding cooked rice and meat to his meals to try and get some more carbs into him.

Any advice please... I hate a thin pup. If they miss meals for 2 days because of some ailment they have nothing to fall back on.
Shisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Nothing wrong with Royal Canin...it's certainly better than many other kibble brands.

Perhaps, I missed it in your post....how old is the pup ?

GSD pups go through a gangly stage which is quite common.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

He's 14 weeks.

He's very thin. I feel abnormally thin.
He is wormed regularly and all my dogs get Revolution once a month. His poo is normal.

Maybe I'm just over anxious. He's the size of some of the 4 month old pups at training.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oops just noticed I posted in the wrong forum.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shisa View Post
He's 14 weeks.

He's very thin. I feel abnormally thin.
He is wormed regularly and all my dogs get Revolution once a month. His poo is normal.

Maybe I'm just over anxious. He's the size of some of the 4 month old pups at training.

Sounds within tolerance....GSDs take many months to fill out....many.

I'd much rather have a leaner pup while their skeletal structure is forming and maturing than an overweight pup....for that matter..for their entire life.

Perhaps, your dog is growing so fast in other dimensions and areas the "thinness" is the last to be effected.

As you stated...."he's growing like a weed"....

SuperG
Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Can you post a picture? A view from the top and the sides? Normally we are used to our vets over here telling us to put some weight on our dogs because they are used to seeing chunky monkeys.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

We also feed Royal Canin Maxi Puppy. My Axle is 8 months old and many people told me how thin he looked around that age to 6 months. We were feeding the appropriate amount as listed on the bag (if not a little extra) and he is now starting to fill out.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Do verify that he's healthy & if he is don't sweat his weight as long as he's not too heavy. Dogs, like people, can be verrrry thin & quite healthy. We've simply lost sight of that.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

At 14 weeks and 12.3kg, he is a pretty good weight, a general range for a 12 week old is between 10 to 14kg with 12kg being the average and a 16 week old is between 16 to 18kg with 17kg being average. He is just at the lighter end of average weights which is perfectly fine, don't forget they do grow differently and so long as he is healthy, he may have a bigger growth spurt later on.

However, it is important to grow your GSD puppy slowly that way you may lessen the change of medical issues occurring such as dysplasia. It takes a good 3 years for a male GSD to fully fill out. He will finish in height growth around 9 months but may gain an extra cm by 15 months.

Keep an eye on him and make sure he slowly and gradually increases his weight. If you start to notice at any stage that he has stopped gaining weight but still eating and his stools are not healthy then consider testing him for EPI.

But to me, it sounds like he is a perfect weight. A good way to know if they are too fat or thin is to look at him from above - he should have a nice trim waist and look at his sides - you shouldn't be able to see ribs, feel his sides - you should be able to feel his ribs through a nice thin layer of fat.

Post some pics for us to see.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

here's a pic.....
Attached Thumbnails
Axel feels like an Ethiopian cow-skinnygsd.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.