German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   Axel feels like an Ethiopian cow (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/406458-axel-feels-like-ethiopian-cow.html)

Shisa 02-04-2014 10:41 AM

Axel feels like an Ethiopian cow

He is so thin.

Please keep in mind this is South Africa and we are limited to the food we can get.
Axel is 12.3kgs and approx 48cm at the shoulder. He won't hold still.

He's been on Royal Canin GSD junior since I got him. I know this is a **** food in some circles but it's the best you can get over here.
He's growing like a weed but is just skin and bones. The vet said I shouldn't worry but I do. I don't want a fat pup but would like to not be able to stick my finger trough his ribs.
For last 3 weeks I've been splitting his 'recommended' portion in 2 and adding a extra meal inbetween. It's not helped.
I've now started adding cooked rice and meat to his meals to try and get some more carbs into him.

Any advice please... I hate a thin pup. If they miss meals for 2 days because of some ailment they have nothing to fall back on.

SuperG 02-04-2014 10:45 AM

Nothing wrong with Royal Canin...it's certainly better than many other kibble brands.

Perhaps, I missed it in your post....how old is the pup ?

GSD pups go through a gangly stage which is quite common.

SuperG

Shisa 02-04-2014 10:51 AM

He's 14 weeks.

He's very thin. I feel abnormally thin.
He is wormed regularly and all my dogs get Revolution once a month. His poo is normal.

Maybe I'm just over anxious. He's the size of some of the 4 month old pups at training.

Shisa 02-04-2014 10:52 AM

Oops just noticed I posted in the wrong forum. :blush:

SuperG 02-04-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shisa (Post 4962778)
He's 14 weeks.

He's very thin. I feel abnormally thin.
He is wormed regularly and all my dogs get Revolution once a month. His poo is normal.

Maybe I'm just over anxious. He's the size of some of the 4 month old pups at training.

Sounds within tolerance....GSDs take many months to fill out....many.

I'd much rather have a leaner pup while their skeletal structure is forming and maturing than an overweight pup....for that matter..for their entire life.

Perhaps, your dog is growing so fast in other dimensions and areas the "thinness" is the last to be effected.

As you stated...."he's growing like a weed"....

SuperG

jocoyn 02-04-2014 11:56 AM

Can you post a picture? A view from the top and the sides? Normally we are used to our vets over here telling us to put some weight on our dogs because they are used to seeing chunky monkeys.

Axle 02-04-2014 01:25 PM

We also feed Royal Canin Maxi Puppy. My Axle is 8 months old and many people told me how thin he looked around that age to 6 months. We were feeding the appropriate amount as listed on the bag (if not a little extra) and he is now starting to fill out.

RubyTuesday 02-04-2014 02:07 PM

Do verify that he's healthy & if he is don't sweat his weight as long as he's not too heavy. Dogs, like people, can be verrrry thin & quite healthy. We've simply lost sight of that.

Harry and Lola 02-04-2014 04:04 PM

At 14 weeks and 12.3kg, he is a pretty good weight, a general range for a 12 week old is between 10 to 14kg with 12kg being the average and a 16 week old is between 16 to 18kg with 17kg being average. He is just at the lighter end of average weights which is perfectly fine, don't forget they do grow differently and so long as he is healthy, he may have a bigger growth spurt later on.

However, it is important to grow your GSD puppy slowly that way you may lessen the change of medical issues occurring such as dysplasia. It takes a good 3 years for a male GSD to fully fill out. He will finish in height growth around 9 months but may gain an extra cm by 15 months.

Keep an eye on him and make sure he slowly and gradually increases his weight. If you start to notice at any stage that he has stopped gaining weight but still eating and his stools are not healthy then consider testing him for EPI.

But to me, it sounds like he is a perfect weight. A good way to know if they are too fat or thin is to look at him from above - he should have a nice trim waist and look at his sides - you shouldn't be able to see ribs, feel his sides - you should be able to feel his ribs through a nice thin layer of fat.

Post some pics for us to see.

SuperG 02-04-2014 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a pic.....