German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   Issue with weight male puppy.. please help. (2 m old and 7 pounds) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/403074-issue-weight-male-puppy-please-help-2-m-old-7-pounds.html)

mamatolaceynchief 01-28-2014 10:00 AM

Issue with weight male puppy.. please help. (2 m old and 7 pounds)

A little background on my puppy... please don't judge..

I purchased my puppy from a lady at 6 weeks.. he was full of hookworms, and I had to take him to the emergency vet and at 6 weeks, he weighed 4 lbs.. I had to take him to the vet again yesterday because I noticed he had some weird bumps which turned out to be a skin infection. He weighed 6 lbs... Next week he will be 2 months and the first emergency vet I took him to told me he wanted him to be 14 lbs by next week... the vet I took him to yesterday told me that I am over feeding him and he is the right size... I am so confused on what I am doing.. I feel like he is SO small for his age... I have looked at the weight charts and I know not all dogs are the same but it says at 2 months he should be 19 lbs.. So since he's only gaining 1 1/2 lbs a week.. i'd say he will be 7 1/2 lbs at 2 months... this is so tiny... and not normal and why are 2 different vets telling me 2 things..

MaggieRoseLee 01-28-2014 10:08 AM

How sure are you he's purebred?

Also, if he was underweight his entire life then it takes a while to catch up. You have only had him for 2 weeks so have plenty of time to calmly begin feeding a good balanced and healthy diet so he can gradually catch up.

Growing TOO fast (adding fat not muscle) causes HUGE issues and can actually promote hip dysplasia and pano which you do NOT want.

So what are you feeding him? The amount on the bag is always a good place to start. He eating well? Happy? Full of energy?

We all freak out and worry worry worry about our pups growth the first year. But the best thing is to pay attention and be aware, but also look at how the puppy is behaving. If they are growing, are behaving normally with play and bright eyes, then we need to just keep up the good work and let nature take it's course.

Good luck!

Sunflowers 01-28-2014 10:14 AM

It's not that tiny. Hans was around 9.5 lbs at 8 weeks, and he was, and is, just fine.

I would disregard the advice of getting him to be 14 lbs by next week.
Slow and steady is the way to grow a large breed puppy.

Don't worry about the numbers as much, focus on slow weight gain, and if the dog is active and growing, then you have nothing to worry about.

mamatolaceynchief 01-28-2014 10:16 AM

Thank you Maggie.

He is purebred. Not AKC registered but CKC(Which I know doesn't mean anything really) but i'm not breeding him. I have a feeling since he was infested with hookworms badly it would slow down his growth. He is full of energy and eating very well... I have not been feeding him what the bag says.. He is on blue buffalo wilderness for puppies. I have been feeding him 1 cup a day but it's broken up 3-4x a day.. and usually the last time he eats is around 7 PM... when he wakes up around 5 AM he cries because he's so hungry.. so I feel guilty and feed him breakfast then.

SummerGSDLover 01-28-2014 12:17 PM

1 cup per day? That doesn't seem like enough.

*-*Summer*-*

Msmaria 01-28-2014 12:32 PM

I think my dog ate around 1 to 1 1/2 cups at that age. But we did feed another food, so 1 cup may be correct. Can you try giving him a bone with some meat on it to keep him busy. You dont want him too grow to fast. I had the same problem, my vet said one thing, the other vet in the office said another. As long as your puppy is growing and catching up due to his bout with worms you should be fine. Post some pics would love to see the little guy.

shepherdmom 01-28-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 4920410)
1 cup per day? That doesn't seem like enough.

*-*Summer*-*

That is what I thought too. Isn't it something like 1/2 cups 3 times a day?

SummerGSDLover 01-28-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 4920618)
That is what I thought too. Isn't it something like 1/2 cups 3 times a day?

I was feeding 1/2 cup 4 times per day. Then moved up to 1 cup 3 times per day around 14 weeks.

*-*Summer*-*

shepherdmom 01-28-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 4920690)
I was feeding 1/2 cup 4 times per day. Then moved up to 1 cup 3 times per day around 14 weeks.

*-*Summer*-*

I just checked with the rescue. My boy who comes home on the 5th :happyboogie:... Is getting approx 2-3 cups per day. He is 10 weeks.

mamatolaceynchief 01-28-2014 01:32 PM

Yeah see my vet yesterday said I am over feeding him and that a 10 lb puppy should be getting 1 cup a day.....