German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   First off leash dog encounter with my 20 week GSD...It just had to be a bird dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/402314-first-off-leash-dog-encounter-my-20-week-gsd-just-had-bird-dog.html)

Jmoore728 01-26-2014 08:58 PM

First off leash dog encounter with my 20 week GSD...It just had to be a bird dog

I've been around plenty of pointers. Very high strung dogs....While taking Bane walking in the pasture tonight, I noticed a guy running his 3 bird dogs off leash across the pasture......I first noticed them when they were probably 1/4 mile away.... I kept on our side of the creek....Bane spotted them, and he sit and just watched them... I got him walking again, but he kept paying attention to them........I was trying to get moving before one of them spotted us....I failed....One of the pointers finally spotted us and the handler knew what his dog was up to at this point.,..He kept screaming for his dog, but it was paying no attention....it was approaching very fast. I knew the dog would cross the creek and it did.....The handler was very far away at this point and on the other side of the creek.

Dog approached us running, I stepped in front of Bane and tried slowing the dog down..,,Almost impossible with a pointer...I figured my hot dog treats would have no effect, and they didn't.... I never let the dog come in contact with Bane. Bane was barking, and not thrilled with the dog. It wasn't his happy go lucky bark...., The bird dog kept trying to approach Bane...He wasn't barking, but was being the normal super hyper, determined, bird dog....I kept kicking the dog away. My dog was on a leash and i tried to maintain slack in the leash when dancing around in circles kicking the dog away,,,, I def got a workout in....Took the handler over 5 minutes to get close enough to get control....At least all three of them didn't come rushing in....I might of had to pull my pistol and shoot into the creek bed.... Maybe they would think bird down at this point.....Cops might of frowned upon it... Handler apologized, and leashed the problem dog...The other 2 dogs listened to him... Thank God....I don't know how I would of reacted to 3 bird dogs rushing us....That would of been a lot harder to control.

Anyway I should of handled this different?

Is Banes behavior normal for this type of encounter?

I didn't want the dog to come in contact with Bane. Not many bird dogs(pointer type) have a calm gear. The dog wasn't showing any aggression, but I didn't let him get closer than 2-3 feet... He kept trying to break the barrier, I would kick him out of it....

Bane is pretty cautious/observant around other dogs....When walking, and a dog starts barking, a lot of times he will sit and just watch them, trying to sniff them out. Sometimes, he pays no attention and carries on... I try to make him maintain focus on me, but he usually stays locked on the dog....I haven't had many large breed adult encounters with Bane....I just don't trust other peoples dogs and do not want to take the chance....

Mary Beth 01-26-2014 09:52 PM

What an ordeal for you and Bane :( I can sure understand your concern and worry. Bane did handle it well though. I can't speak from experience as I didn't have an encounter like that with walking a puppy. I do know that with certain types of dogs the kicking out at the dog could backfire and put the dog on the defensive to attack. I turn my back and walk away with my dog by my side and don't make any contact with the loose dog - totally ignore. I focus on my dog and keep moving away. I do agree with you that I also don't trust other people's dogs or them to have control over their dog. I have read other posts where it was advised to carry a walking stick and use that.

Jmoore728 01-26-2014 10:47 PM

I have all the bamboo sticks I need...I need to start carrying it with me...I honestly don't think I could of walked away, every time I would try to turn and go, he would be in front of us again.... I don't know if this dog would of did anything. But I wasn't going to find out....It def shook my dog up when he came rushing in. Banes hair went up and he was barking at this dog.... I probably would of had to drag him along....

On occasions during walks, he acts very cautious. Doesn't tuck his tell....Just alerts and observes. He tries sniffing everything out or get a feel for it....

When speaking of nerves....What would you watch your pup for in these occasions to see how his nerves are? Or is it possible? I didn't have much time to observe my dog, I was too busy keeping the other dog away....After that encounter, he was cautious the rest of the way home... I'm hoping this improves as he matures? He is still young, and so far everything has seemed fine. Does very well around all distractions so far, barking dogs behind fences is different, he loves to observe them from a sit position and sniff it out.....I try to keep him moving, but in don't want to drag him along. So I be letting him sit and observe or just "pull" him out of the observing?

jocoyn 01-26-2014 10:50 PM

Make sure he gets some good time with nice dogs.

Jmoore728 01-26-2014 10:59 PM

That is my goal over the next 7 days...I'm on vacation.. I've been talking to a guy in town that has a 1 year old male GSD and wants me to show him the ropes on marker training and we are wanting to introduce out dogs. Should we have the older dog approach us or Visa Versa? Start from a distance and work our way closer? They will both be leashed. His dog is almost full size (weight wise) , and he is also a male GSD. How would you go about it?

How should I approach this? Have him meet me at my in laws house....The have a couple fields surrounding their house. Me and Bane were in the process of walking over there tonight when we ran into the bird dogs.

jocoyn 01-26-2014 11:14 PM

Well, if you don't know the male GSD and how it responds to puppies, I would be very cautious.....At 1, he is a big puppy himself and may overwhelm the little one if he has not learned the rules of puppy. When Beau was around that age and we introduced him to a new team puppy, we had the puppy in the crate in the car first and let Beau approach. When it was clear there were not going to be issues we took the pup out on lead and Beau was on lead..when he got too playful, I put him in a down and she did not let the puppy climb all over him..... But I already knew that Beau has zero issues with on lead aggression. You want to make sure that is the case with this dog.

boomer11 01-26-2014 11:27 PM

my opinion might not be popular but it seems like you are babying your dog way too much. your dog is 4 months old, not a 10 week pup. your dog at that age is probably bigger than or just as big as half the dogs he encounters. IF he has good nerves he should be able to recover from anything short of a dog full out attacking him.

gsds are suppose to be tough hard dogs. if your dog seem skittish/fearful then i'd control his interactions with the world. if he's confident and fearless then let him take on the world by himself and only intervene when necessary.

jafo220 01-26-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmoore728 (Post 4911018)
I've been around plenty of pointers. Very high strung dogs....While taking Bane walking in the pasture tonight, I noticed a guy running his 3 bird dogs off leash across the pasture......I first noticed them when they were probably 1/4 mile away.... I kept on our side of the creek....Bane spotted them, and he sit and just watched them... I got him walking again, but he kept paying attention to them........I was trying to get moving before one of them spotted us....I failed....One of the pointers finally spotted us and the handler knew what his dog was up to at this point.,..He kept screaming for his dog, but it was paying no attention....it was approaching very fast. I knew the dog would cross the creek and it did.....The handler was very far away at this point and on the other side of the creek.

Dog approached us running, I stepped in front of Bane and tried slowing the dog down..,,Almost impossible with a pointer...I figured my hot dog treats would have no effect, and they didn't.... I never let the dog come in contact with Bane. Bane was barking, and not thrilled with the dog. It wasn't his happy go lucky bark...., The bird dog kept trying to approach Bane...He wasn't barking, but was being the normal super hyper, determined, bird dog....I kept kicking the dog away. My dog was on a leash and i tried to maintain slack in the leash when dancing around in circles kicking the dog away,,,, I def got a workout in....Took the handler over 5 minutes to get close enough to get control....At least all three of them didn't come rushing in....I might of had to pull my pistol and shoot into the creek bed.... Maybe they would think bird down at this point.....Cops might of frowned upon it... Handler apologized, and leashed the problem dog...The other 2 dogs listened to him... Thank God....I don't know how I would of reacted to 3 bird dogs rushing us....That would of been a lot harder to control.

Anyway I should of handled this different?

Is Banes behavior normal for this type of encounter?

I didn't want the dog to come in contact with Bane. Not many bird dogs(pointer type) have a calm gear. The dog wasn't showing any aggression, but I didn't let him get closer than 2-3 feet... He kept trying to break the barrier, I would kick him out of it....

Bane is pretty cautious/observant around other dogs....When walking, and a dog starts barking, a lot of times he will sit and just watch them, trying to sniff them out. Sometimes, he pays no attention and carries on... I try to make him maintain focus on me, but he usually stays locked on the dog....I haven't had many large breed adult encounters with Bane....I just don't trust other peoples dogs and do not want to take the chance....

You did the right thing protecting your pup. I also had an encounter with a bird dog at a dog park when Cruz was pretty young. He was a big pup but the bird dog as you mentioned was relentless. A 1 yr. old Female GSD came to the aide of my pup as the bird dog was to fast in the situation and drove the bird dog off my pup before we could get to them. I think it damaged his confidence for a month or so. He has all the confidence in the world now. Had that bird dog gotten to your pup, it wouldn't have been a good experience for your pup.

As far as the interaction with the other GSD. I agree with Jocoyn. Be careful. Slow controlled introduction would be highly important if it were me. I introduced my pup to a mature GSD in the neighborhood last summer. But both dogs were on leash and kept a few yards apart. They never really got to interact for long and have not since except a run in by accident a few weeks ago that was anything but fun and play. But that's another story. Just be careful. I always go with my feeling and if it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Mocha 01-26-2014 11:43 PM

There's a pointer that goes to the same dog park as me. Whenever we're both there, my eyes are trained on him because whenever he plays with another dog it almost always turns ugly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

carmspack 01-26-2014 11:48 PM

hot dogs for your dog I assume?
at that point you can't mark and reward your dog , and the dog has zero interest , and the focus has to be YOU , not the reward or lure or bribe , choose your own definition.
you said "Bane is pretty cautious/observant around other dogs....When walking, and a dog starts barking, a lot of times he will sit and just watch them, trying to sniff them out. Sometimes, he pays no attention and carries on... I try to make him maintain focus on me, but he usually stays locked on the dog"

when walking he is going with you , at your speed , in your direction -- you control the time and length , you control. If you are in control there is no opportunity for the dog to sit and watch the other dog . He is zoning you out . Going to get harder to get his attention.
All your wording shows the dog is in charge . The dog is either focused on you or he is not -- it is not something you try to maintain , you set it up so that it is in his best interest to be so . That the dog is locking his focus on the other dog shows lack of your leadership. Keep on moving . praise -- This from another thread -- amazing handler / pup connection -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izErPUWXnfc
your dog is in prime socialization period -- what you allow to happen , give unintentional approval to will form the behaviour you will get from him as an adult . don't baby --- get the behaviour you want from him - you can't control the other dogs or the rest of the world , you can only control your own dog - he needs to trust you , co operate with you -- go with you , not the other way around.