Bunny Hop//Cow hocks?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??

Okay, first of all, since joining this site I have turned into the MOST paranoid puppy momma ever! Every time someone posts a problem about their puppy I automatically check mine for the same and think he has it! Second, I'm learning a lot of things that I had never heard of before.

ANYWAYS, since reading a post about "bunny hopping" and "cow hocks", I'm freaking out. My puppy does this hop (or so I think). Should I be concerned about it? He is only 6 months old and I always just thought it was a puppy bounce he likes to do. But now I'm having second paranoid thoughts. Any insight on this? He does run A LOT at the dog park, and loves jumping high in the air for tennis balls. Could this have possibly affected his hips and caused the hop? I know his growth plates are still developing, but I thought since the ground is almost always soft and muddy that he should be okay. I've never let him run, wrestle, or jump for balls on hard cement. I hope I didn't do anything wrong. For the first month I had him I carried him up/down stairs and also lifted him on and off of my bed (actually did this for several months because my bed is so high).

Next, I'm having trouble determining if my dog is cow hocked or just clumsy. This might seem like a stupid question, but I've been sitting with him and comparing him with pictures and I just can't make the call. I feel as though my judgement is clouded because I'm worried.

I'm attaching videos and pictures (hopefully they work). Some of them aren't the best quality so I've added multiple. Don't mind the mess, he seems to only like the muddiest portion of the park
Attached Thumbnails
Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??-hind2.jpg   Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??-rhind1.jpg   Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??-hind3.jpg   Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??-hind4.jpg  

Last edited by Mocha; 01-18-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ooops, working on getting the videos on. One sec!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, here are the videos uploaded to youtube:

Reagan Run 3 - YouTube

Reagan Run 2 - YouTube
Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

in my very unprofessional opinion I do see some bunny hopping. However as others have told me here that does not mean your puppy has hip dysplasia. The only way to tell is by an xray. Puppies can run very goofy. I know what you mean about reading the forum and becoming paranoid. I actually had to take a little break so that I would stop worrying myself crazy haha
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
in my very unprofessional opinion I do see some bunny hopping. However as others have told me here that does not mean your puppy has hip dysplasia. The only way to tell is by an xray. Puppies can run very goofy. I know what you mean about reading the forum and becoming paranoid. I actually had to take a little break so that I would stop worrying myself crazy haha

Haha my boyfriend actually told me to get off this site, I think I'm driving him crazy over all of this.

I think my only peace of mind will come from x-rays
Old 01-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

it looks like all the dogs are running the same to me.

Last edited by trcy; 01-18-2014 at 10:32 PM.
trcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think the right left leg looks a little weak and it does look like he is planting both back legs together instead of striding. However, he is a puppy and this is a just from looking at the videos.

It looks like overall he could use more muscle mass in his hind end. Do you do low impact exercise with him or is it all running and jumping? Rafi was like that when I adopted him at age 1.5. I built up his muscle, gave him supplements for his joints and don't let him overdo the high-impact exercise and he is doing great now at age 7.5.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post

It looks like overall he could use more muscle mass in his hind end. Do you do low impact exercise with him or is it all running and jumping? Rafi was like that when I adopted him at age 1.5. I built up his muscle, gave him supplements for his joints and don't let him overdo the high-impact exercise and he is doing great now at age 7.5.

We walk regularly, but not for too long of distances. I can attempt to increase that as well as some hiking. What supplements do you give him?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He's a 6 month old goofy puppy, they all are. I wouldn't get too worried about it unless he's showing signs of pain. Getting up slow, not wanting to go up stairs, or just getting tired quickly.

If you're really worried about it, get x-rays done before you start with supplements and all that.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Woof, that's what I'm hoping for. I think I'm just being overly paranoid. Maybe I'll give it a few months. He doesn't show any signs of pain, practically drags me down the stairs when he really has to go to the bathroom LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.