Bunny biting puppy!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Bunny biting puppy!!!

....... Toffee is 6 months old.

... He has incredible bite inhibition. He's so gentle that my parakeets are not afraid of him (after many years with careful handling with parakeets, they STILL fear me. They met Toffee and during the first day with him they kept trying to fly to him).

... With my other killer-high prey drive dog, the bunny runs and hides from him. I had to tie the bunny's room shut because that dog was OBSESSED with the bunny. Can't take his eyes off of him for one second and tries to bite the bunny. His bites are ferocious when he play fights with me. It gives me huge cuts.

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-uuuuuttttt.... Toffee can actually ignore the bunny. He could, voluntarily, walk away calmly. And he does. Oh, you bet he does. He is so sweet and gentle. After playing with the bunny for a few seconds he calmly ignores fluffy-bun-buns in which the bunny takes that chance to run right up to him to get chased again. Just like with a flirt pole, when the toy/bunny stops moving (from being chased), Toffee just stops, too. No biting, no anything.

*~ I thought it was cute, the two being buddies. That was until the bunny just started running and biting Toffee (making him whine and cry ) when we were just walking in the hallway (bunny has his own room!!! This hallway is where everyone walks.

I always supervise even if I trust Toffee 100% with not hurting the bunny. I'm way more worried about the bunny hurting Toffee. Does anyone know why the bunny does this to Toffee? He also did it to me; he never has done it before but ever since he met Toffee, he started doing it.
lemonbalm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rabbits can be very territorial. My male rabbit hates dogs and would attack, if given the chance. My shepherd used to hide from him. My vet said she used to have a bird room and the rabbit lived in the room with the birds. She kept the door shut to keep the cats out. One day, she came to an open door and feared the cats had attacked her rabbit. She was shocked to see the cats sitting on furniture and shelves well off the floor. The rabbit ruled that room.

Does your rabbit grunt and lunge, as well as bite?
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

The bunny doesn't grunt, but he lunges and bites.

Another thing is that when my dog goes into my room the bunny runs into my room and lunges at the pup. Harmless pup doesn't do anything but whine and run away.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You aren't kidding that rabbits can be territorial.....watch this video of an "innocent" little white bunny protecting it's cave.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't understand why you are putting them together. Why are you letting a rodent bite a puppy until he whines and cries? Paybacks could be heck for that rabbit. I just don't get it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

[QUOTE= Paybacks could be heck for that rabbit. I just don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Ummmmm. I have to agree...my yard used to be infested with rabbits.....keyword "used"

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
I don't understand why you are putting them together. Why are you letting a rodent bite a puppy until he whines and cries? Paybacks could be heck for that rabbit. I just don't get it.
After seeing it happen twice (I thought the first one was an accident or something) I closed the door to the bunny's room. I just wanted to know why the bunny would act that way. I'm sorry I forgot to include this bit of info.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The rabbit feels the need to be defensive around the dog, perhaps you now as well. Keep them separated, they don't need to be friends. Seriously. Be happy that the dog will not obsess over the rabbit & all can live under the same roof-stress free. Not fair to the dog either to be attacked by the rabbit. Might see something happen you don't want to see eventually.

I have also owned several rabbits. The grunting, thumping feet, lunging...not good.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Oh no you didn't call a rabbit a rodent. They are not.

I agree you should not allow the rabbit to hurt the puppy. I have always had rabbits and dogs. They can see each other, but I do not allow them to interact.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

HaHa. I loved my rabbits. When we got a Rusty I decided no more rabbits. But I do miss the little buggers. My last one lived to be almost 8. She was litter box trained & would follow me around & cuddle. Sweet little girl.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.