100 People - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 100 People

Is anyone else doing the Ian Dunbar 100 people by 12 weeks socialization thing? He says that you should try to have your puppy meet 100 people, at least 20 of them kids, by 12 weeks. It's so tough in the winter months, but we have a full dance card lined up for our girl. I thought it would be fun to have a thread for anyone working on 100 people to keep track and keep each other motivated.

Lorna is 7 weeks, 4 days and has been home for 3 days. Yesterday we went to the Three Dog Bakery, where she met 2 ladies and the nice cashier. She went to Tractor Supply Company with us but she didn't really meet anyone, still good exposure. Today we went to Petco, where she met 8 people, 2 of them kids.

So, we have 4.5 more weeks and we're at 11 people, 2 of them kids. Anyone else?
missus_e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When Karlo was a puppy I tried to give him something new to experience every day. I didn't really obsess about it, and his temperament was stable enough, that he didn't need it. Some puppies are good to go whereever, and some can be clearly overwhelmed when over stimulated. I don't think the lack of socialization is what makes or breaks a pup....it is what is in the genetics. But isolation can be detrimental as well. Read the pup, do what is best for the puppy in front of you.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am going to give a little unsolicited advice. Try not to overwhelm the puppy. Meeting 10 people in an outing is NOT better than meeting 3 people in an outing. Keep it light and fun. There are no short cuts. Go out every day, even if it is crappy out.

Meet 3 people and then go home.

At the end of 4.5 weeks that will be 93 people. Add that to the 11 you got already, and you will be right there.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sage advice, thank you. At this point she's all about it, she's all wags and kisses with everyone she meets. She's an absolute ball of energy, and meeting people doesn't seem to overwhelm her at all. We just got back home and I was sure she'd be ready for a nap, but nope. She's tearing around the house, throwing each of her toys up in the air and running to the next. I had a dog once who was very easily overwhelmed and overstimulated by too much socializing, so I'm keeping an eye out for that kind of body language or response but it seems to be completely not her MO so far.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

I didn't focus as much on meeting people as I did with getting out and seeing the world.
I would go sit on the bench outside Walmart - see people in hats, wheelchairs, glasses, hoodies, limping or on crutches, and of course a million screaming kids.
We wouldn't stay long, maybe 30 minutes. We might actually greet 2 or 3 people; some days we would greet none and just watch.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

We're focusing mainly on just exposing her to different sounds, smells, kinds of people, textures to walk on, etc. If people greet her then they do, I don't think it makes the experience any less valuable if not! Maybe even more so, so that she's used to watching the world go by without everyone greeting her, because goodness knows they'll approach her less when she's older. I just like some of Ian Dunbar's ideas and thought it would be fun to use his 100 people recommendation as a fun yardstick for where we're at on socialization, not to force anything just to meet a quota.

We took her with us to Half Price Books thinking that it would be dead on New Year's Day and full of people who may or may not even be dog people so it would be more of a people watching/new places experience, but it was surprisingly busy and insanely friendly! A very nice, extroverted lady (not pushy or invasive, just louder and chattier than most people we know) spent some time with her, and I was interested to see how she'd react because both of us are much more introverted. She absolutely ate it up, wagging and giving kisses. I love how social she is.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

you're out an about with your pup. i would have some reservations where
i take my pup before it's 2nd round of shots.

socializing doesn't end at 12 weeks. you want to be out
socializing and training everyday. invite people to your
house so you start teaching how to meet and greet
and the people will count towards your numbers. i made sure
my pup met other dogs, cats, horses, birds (caged and wild).
being in lots of different enviroments and being around a lot
of different noise levels helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missus_e View Post
Is anyone else doing the Ian Dunbar 100 people by 12 weeks socialization thing? He says that you should try to have your puppy meet 100 people, at least 20 of them kids, by 12 weeks. It's so tough in the winter months, but we have a full dance card lined up for our girl. I thought it would be fun to have a thread for anyone working on 100 people to keep track and keep each other motivated.

Lorna is 7 weeks, 4 days and has been home for 3 days. Yesterday we went to the Three Dog Bakery, where she met 2 ladies and the nice cashier. She went to Tractor Supply Company with us but she didn't really meet anyone, still good exposure.

>>>>Today we went to Petco,<<<<< where she met 8 people, 2 of them kids.

So, we have 4.5 more weeks and we're at 11 people, 2 of them kids. Anyone else?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
you're out an about with your pup. i would have some reservations where
i take my pup before it's 2nd round of shots.
Of course - her feet have not touched the ground anywhere but home and the rest area on our way home from Iowa. After six years working in veterinary hospitals I have seen more than enough parvo to make me cautious. We have socialization plans far beyond 12 weeks, as well. Summer will be great as we have a lot of festivals and events around here. We definitely have to think outside the box in the winter because even if we were willing to brave the cold, other people aren't so there's no one to see. You're right about the inviting people over - I think that that will be our biggest challenge. We just don't have people over all that much, so we're going to need to make a conscious effort on that front. I was thinking about that when I read your post and invited my mother over for dinner next week, and my father the next, so thank you for that reminder!

Last edited by missus_e; 01-01-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.