Not barking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not barking

My GSD male is 2 and 1/2 months. He doesn't bark at anyone and goes to everyone who ever approaches him. He goes wags his tail and starts licking them or moving around them. he only shouts some times at us(family members) when we play with him or when is not getting what he wants.
I want him to bark at new people and not be friendly with everyone. I never tie him inside the house. only time i use lease is when i take him for a walk.
Kindly advice as to how to make him bark at new comers.
Mani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mine didn't bark for many many months. Yours is still just a baby and loving life! Enjoy this phase, it goes quickly!Not barking-imageuploadedbypg-free1388406996.641873.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ladyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

You absolutely do NOT want to encourage him to bark and/or act aggressive to strangers, especially at this age. Encourage the socializing with people - all types - young, old, large, small, different races. Consider yourself lucky that he is this social.

As he matures, he will begin showing the aloof behavior GSD are known for.

If you haven't started a training class with him yet, this is a perfect age to begin.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani View Post
My GSD male is 2 and 1/2 months. He doesn't bark at anyone and goes to everyone who ever approaches him. He goes wags his tail and starts licking them or moving around them. he only shouts some times at us(family members) when we play with him or when is not getting what he wants.
I want him to bark at new people and not be friendly with everyone. I never tie him inside the house. only time i use lease is when i take him for a walk.
Kindly advice as to how to make him bark at new comers.

I hope you have good insurance.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

My male GSD is 1.5 years old. He was bred and raised to be a Seeing Eye dog so he was heavily socialized as a youngster and encouraged not never bark. After he was dropped from the Seeing Eye program (for fear behaviors) and we adopted him we were sure we had a wimp that would never protect us. We were very happy with him approaching every person with a wiggle but and a kiss. Well guess what, in just the past month he has started to show protective behaviors. He still approaches strangers with a wiggle butt (for the most part) and rarely barks, but he has started reacting to situations that seem strange. For instance, my teenage daughter was out with family friends and when they drove up the driveway at night to drop her off Ranger jumped to his feet and barked. The car was not supposed to be there and he reacted. He he has not been trained or even encouraged to protect us but I think that his early socialization made him think through each new situation. He is now evaluating the risk and only reacting when things seem off. So be patient and allow him to socialize as much as possible.
Rangers_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thats a great relief..thanks a lot..i don't want him to be aggressive but want him to be a little protective..anyways ideas helped thank u
Mani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your boy does not feel the need to bark there's no threat, nothing to alert, that's OK. In all honestly, how many folks do you invite to your home or pass on the street that have ill intentions towards you? See what I'm saying?
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

First you say
Quote:
He goes wags his tail and starts licking them or moving around them.
And then you say
Quote:
I want him to bark at new people and not be friendly with everyone.
"Friendly" is misread puppy behaviour. Puppies, in fact, investigate only, even if licking. Allowing people to touch your puppy - is teaching him bad behaviour. Dogs show their agressiveness after 7-9 months only, and you can never know is he agressive or not before that age. He musn't run to people without your "OK", one day he will investigate for different reasons! Instead, you better join Schutz club now, train obedience there and introduce to protection while he is that young.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Allowing people to touch your puppy - is teaching him bad behaviour.

I think it depends on what you want out of your dog. The Seeing Eye encouraged us to have our pup meet anyone and everyone at the earliest age possible.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Whoops, that first sentence should have been a quote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.