German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   Puppy half the size she should be?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/387986-puppy-half-size-she-should.html)

Xyst Sin 12-28-2013 10:32 PM

Puppy half the size she should be??

4 Attachment(s)
I have a full blood shepherd, female, born 8/22/2013. Weighed her today, she is 20.4lbs. Talked to two vets, one that I used to go to often with my other dogs, and a new one that she saw where I lived. They both said health wise she is great. Shes just so **** small. Got a pic from a friend who has her sister with him. She looks like she's pushing 40lbs. Is there something that could be wrong with her that I am missing? She was not at all the runt of the litter. Here are some recent pics.

First pic is of her this morning. Second and third are christmas, and fourth is of her next to her 85lb aunt.

Xena9012 12-28-2013 10:50 PM

Wow, she doesn't look that small in the pics but she sure doesn't weigh much. My pup Xena is almost 5 months (born on the 8/05/13) and weighs about 40lbs. Does she seem strange when she's eating (not hungry). Maybe talk to the breeder and see whst she thinks.

Xyst Sin 12-28-2013 11:30 PM

Breeder just thinks shes going to be small. She eats like a beast. Shes eating a balanced raw diet. 2lbs a day, with veggies added a little into each meal, eggs twice a week, and yogurt once a week. I thought she was at least 25lbs by now but checked at my petsmart banfield and shes only 20. Very stressed about it because I feel like I'm doing something wrong but idk what it could possibly be. She acts completely healthy and doesn't look underweight for her frame size. She just looks like shes still 12 weeks old.

Xena9012 12-29-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xyst Sin (Post 4737010)
Breeder just thinks shes going to be small. She eats like a beast. Shes eating a balanced raw diet. 2lbs a day, with veggies added a little into each meal, eggs twice a week, and yogurt once a week. I thought she was at least 25lbs by now but checked at my petsmart banfield and shes only 20. Very stressed about it because I feel like I'm doing something wrong but idk what it could possibly be. She acts completely healthy and doesn't look underweight for her frame size. She just looks like shes still 12 weeks old.

I wouldn't worry then. Maybe she is just going to be small. If the vets and the breeder both think she is okay then don't stress about it.

Dainerra 12-29-2013 03:35 PM

if she is eating well, acting well and gaining weight at a regular rate, then I wouldn't worry.
She sounds like she is fine. Remember that so many of the dogs you see in the US are oversize, overweight or the owners are overestimating how much they weigh.

stmcfred 12-29-2013 04:12 PM

She does seem small weight wise, but she looks healthy. i wouldn't worry too much as long as she's eating great.
My pup Lola is 19 weeks (8-17-13) and weighs about 36 pounds.

Jax08 12-29-2013 04:40 PM

BW done on her? What size are her parents? She's 18 weeks?

My 13w old boy is 32#. He's very solid, heavier boned, working line. I can;t remember what my girl, adult weight 62#, weighed at that age. I think she was about 20# at 12 weeks.

Xyst Sin 12-30-2013 11:40 AM

Her dad is about 110 and her mom is 65. No BW done yet, as I am between jobs, starting again next monday cause I moved, and didn't have the money right now. The vet didn't seem worried enough to suggest it either. She will be 19 weeks on the 2nd.

Courtney 12-30-2013 12:07 PM

You can always have her poop checked to make sure she doesn't have any creepy crawlies. But really, if she's active, alert, eating, pooping, sleeping, etc...all that normal puppy stuff I would not worry. Don't over feed her to gain weight. As she matures you will see what her "normal" is. My boy was still filling out at 3 years old.

Msmaria 12-30-2013 12:13 PM

Maybe shes just on the smaller size like her mom. Some dogs just take longer to grow into their adult sizes. When I first got my pup people told me he was small. His other 2 siblings where bigger and he looked like the runt. Hes now 30" and 90 pounds. Hes too big.