Running while playing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Running while playing

Hello,

I have an 8 month old GSD boy. Usually, apart from walks, I like to play fetch with him in a field where I'll chuck his favorite ball and let him chase it down and bring it back.

Someone told me that it isn't good to let puppies run, but I always took that to mean if I took him on a run for a few miles not running while he plays.

I usually keep the play sessions no more than 20-30 minutes at a time and give him chances to sit and rest when he needs it, though he recovers extremely quick and is usually able to play for pretty much the entire 20-30 minutes.

Just wondering if I could be doing hip damage since he is still a pup or if it's ok to have him play fetch and run around a field.

Eventually I will want to take him on runs, but I know not to do that until he is at least 18 months old and matured (even then I know he needs to slowly ramp up to distance).

That said, just wondering if it is ok for him to run at his own pace and chase stuff down or if even that is not advisable for pups.

Thanks!
digink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

when they talk about running being bad for them, they mean actual running/jogging, especially on concrete or asphalt. Running to catch a ball and stuff is good for them, especially if you do it on a grassy surface.
Sansa's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

They're also talking about forced (leashed) runs where you control the speed/distance instead of the puppy. It's fine to play with your puppy .. in fact it's great! My 8 month old LOVES to play fetch. I use 2 softballs and he runs hard until he's tired.. then he'll hold onto one and lie down for a minute. I don't think you could tire him out on a walk ... my pup walked 3 miles with me Thanksgiving day, got home and let him out of the car and he ran and picked up his softball hoping for more.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses that makes me feel much better. He seems to really enjoy chasing a ball around the grassy field I take him to so I am glad it isn't bad for him

20 minutes of that seems to be the only thing that tires him out a little, walks don't do it like they used to when he was a younger pup.
digink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Play running and chasing a ball is not bad for your puppy unless it already has HD and even then its not the running but the sudden stopping to get the ball that is not good. My dog with HD actually play runs alot and I think its helped improve his back legs as he does not bunny hop any longer.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.