A german shepherd? But she's so little! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A german shepherd? But she's so little!

This is my first dog, so I have loads of questions. I imagine some people will respond with "hey search the forums" and there are some stickies on various subjects, but I'm looking for more of an overall evaluation of my dog and her development.

About my dog:

She's about 8.5 months old, a solid black german shepherd. She seems to be well proportioned, and hasn't gone through an awkward lanky phase like my brother's labrador retriever. For the first three months I had her I took her everywhere I could, so she loves people. The comments about her are always the same. "She's a german shepherd? But she's so little!" At 8 1/2 months she weighs a little over 50lb, and is about 20" at the shoulder. A few weeks after I picked her up the breeder told me I could expect her to reach 70lb, but at this point it seems pretty unlikely. Her weight seems to have leveled off over the last couple months, while her frame feels bulkier and more substantial.

Her first heat started earlier this week, which seems to be pretty early. She had vaginitis the week before, and the vet told me it could be related to her going into heat, but he gave her antibiotics anyways. A friend of mine has a german shepherd who had her first heat at 11 months. What I'm curious about is, how does this relate to the rest of her development? Do dogs have a growth spurt at sexual maturity the way humans do, or does the presence of sex hormones stop growth? You see how this ties into me worrying about having a tiny dog?

The lazy sit:

I've been told it's normal for puppies, and that I can train her to sit on her haunches, and that it could indicate possible hip dysplaysia. Her parents had A1 / A2 hip ratings, if that means anything. So will she grow out of it? Are there perfectly healthy dogs that have a lifetime of lazy sitting? I do have to admit, I like when she leans on my leg, then just sort of rolls into it to offer her belly for scratching. I just want a healthy dog!

Schutzhund/IPO:

Is a 55lb german shepherd suitable for IPO? She's a tenacious tugger, but I can't hold her up in the air like I see people in videos do.

I'm not sure of the point of this post. I know my dog is normal enough from reading other threads. I just want some idea of what to expect. Anyone have pics of their petite shepherds?
AFootit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She will mature close to standard or within standard. GSD is not a mastiff - they don't need to be 100lbs+. She is fine....

Show me your SMALL FEMALES
GSD Female Size Concerns
Average weight for a female?
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Claudia Romard & Mr. Murphy - YouTube Mr. Murphy managed just fine - if your female is good for sport, size is not a big concern...
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Re: A german shepherd? But she's so little!

Gunther is 9 months old and only 57.5 lbs these arent huge dogs and smaller isn't bad. they can be more agile

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
AngelaA6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A German Shepherd should be a medium sized dog. It is a working dog. Think of Search and Rescue, a large or overweight dog would be much more difficult to manage in small spaces, helicopters, they might be more prone to injuries, and carrying them out of a search if necessary could be a real pain.

And, slow and steady is better growth than rapid growth.

The puppy sit is perfectly normal, hip problems can happen even from sire and dam with normal/good/excellent hips. But slow and steady growth, and keeping the dog at its proper weight -- not overweight will ensure the best possible outcome for the hips.

GSDs grow up and fill out at different rates. I have had a dog that was his final height and pretty much breadth at 10 months old. And out of him was born a dog that seemed to still be growing at three. If you ask my parents, they will say he was still growing at six. I sold a pup that was much larger than the one I kept at eight weeks, and by the end of basic obedience class, my girl was larger than theirs. In short, I really don't think anyone can tell you by the heat cycle or by the weight of the sire and dam, or by the siblings what your bitch will top out at. Whatever her size, one day it will dawn on you that it is just right.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Show bitches in the UK should be around 22inches at the shoulder,so i think she is fine.Boys are bigger.I think people are breeding oversize GSDs for some reason, which makes correct ones seem small.
TAN+ZAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She's fine.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.