Puppy Day Care - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy Day Care

My wife and I have a nine week old GSD and we want to begin socializing her immediately. We can't get her into a Puppy Kindergarten class for a few weeks, but we can get her into daycare. We tried it yesterday and she loved it.... played great with the other puppies. Should we continue daycare for her? Looking for other's thoughts on this. Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GingerGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

We had a bad experience with a dog walker that came into our house to walk Jake until he was around 10 months old. Things were fine in the beginning, but there was an incident where Jake became aggressive around 10 months old. We never got any helpful information out of them regarding the incident. This behaviour was so out of character for Jake and we took it seriously. After working with a private trainer and assessing him for aggression, the only explanation we could come up with is a combination of fear / frustration in the situation. Since they were unwilling to answer questions about the incident, I am suspiscious that they may have been mistreating him, but again I have no evidence of that. Needless to say, they have not entered our home again since that day. Fortunately by that time Jake was 10 months old and his health issues were pretty much resolved and he was eating twice a day, so there was no reason why he couldn't be alone for 8 hours while we were at work.

There are lots of great dog walkers / providers of doggy day care, but if we ever get another dog I will rethink. Your pup is at such an impressionable age that I'd want to feel pretty confident before leaving my pup with someone.

Plus, you are supposed to limit contact with other dogs / puppies until fully vacinnated.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do they have a puppy social hour or something similar where you and the pup can go together, so you can watch and make sure it's a positive experience? At such a young age, all socialization should be positive and I'd be afraid of her having a bad experience or getting overwhelmed when you weren't around. That's just my opinion, but I would probably want to be there to make it more controlled. What age are the other puppies in the daycare? How many are there at one time? How many people are supervising? How long do they play before they have time to relax? Are they all current on vaccinations? Are there any older dogs at the daycare that might come into contact with puppies?
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

At your puppy's age, I would be cautious about exposing her to too many dogs/places since she hasn't completed her vaccinations.
Galathiel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

My 6.5 month old pup has attended daycare regularly since 12 weeks. She is very friendly and social because of this. I think it's a good thing; just make sure the daycare you take her to requires the dogs to have all of their shots and is kept clean.
Shelly Chip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Puppy Day Care

Thanks everyone for the comments. We're neurotic parents so we appreciate the help. This day care center is fanatical about vaccinations, so were comfortable that she is safe. Also, they are some of the nicest people we've met...and Ginger loves them! Thanks everyone!

First time GSD owners

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GingerGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i wouldn't put my 9 week old pup in a day care. i would
enroll him in a puppy class. i would set up play dates
so he can socialize and i could watch him. during the
play dates the pups could walk on different surfaces,
steps, handles by different people, different sounds, etc.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Even if all puppies are up to date on their vaccines, at 9 weeks old a puppy would only have their first round. Hardly considered "safe" or covered. I personally wouldn't want to risk it until 12 weeks of age and second round of vaccines, 16 weeks of age with final rounds of vaccines to be the safest. Many super young parvo patients I see have had their first round of vaccines.

I also wouldn't be thrilled with puppy interactions that I wasn't supervising. socialization does no good if you can't control that interaction. If the pups are fighting the whole time and your dog is getting bullied/dominated constantly (even in situations that are mainly viewed as "play" in the eyes of the daycare runners), could potentially lead to a timid/fearful adult. On the other hand, if your pup is constantly being the dominator and learning that attitude gets their way, then you could potentially have a head strong, harder to manage adult.

In the first couple weeks I have my pups, I like to work extensively on socialization to new environments, strange smells and sounds, etc, and working on solid training to learn commands. It isn't until 12 weeks + that I get too concerned about any kind of "group" classes or dog on dog socilization. And even then, I don't do much as far as that goes. My dogs don't need doggy friends. They just need to behave and be obedient. The only reason I personally do group training classes is to proof commands that have already been learned through private puppy training. My trainer who works extensively with working GSDs doesn't even have "puppy" classes. You start out in private training lessons and only advance to group classes to proof with distraction once everything from private training is learned.

Zeke doesn't like other dogs. He also doesn't hate them. He's indifferent and could care less, and that's kind of what I like from my dogs.

Again, just my own personal thoughts and opinions.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.