Progress report? Caesar, 14 weeks, 90% Raw diet, ears coming up, weight and progress. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

45kg is about 100lbs sooo isn't that about 20 lbs heavier than you would want a working dog? I mean for working, these dogs have got to be fast and agile... I don't have a working line and he was 45kg at maturity - really quite too big for anything requiring agility, speed and jumping around.
Suka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca View Post
Thank you Lone Ranger Yep I do love my goofy boy very much! I'm in Victoria (used to be Sunshine Coast too!) and it is approx $6500 each side.
Wow Bianca, I am very impressed. What a Testament of Love. It sounds that you, like myself, have been Blessed financially, and it is wonderful that we can do such things out of love for our animals. I have brought my 10 year old back from the brink, with the RAW Meat diet, and he is responding fantastically. I have a Testimonial in the RAW/ BARF feeding section. I considered joint replacement for him at 10, but the Vet talked me out of it on the basis of too hard on him in lengthy rehabilitation. I have him on two anti-inflamatory joint medicines, and the rest of his health problems were fixed on Raw meat and bone diet. He is doing magic so far, maybe I have given him a couple more years to train the pup up..

SUKA, Thank you, but I must admit the working dog and herding part is rare and only maybe 2% for pushing my cattle through a gate or something. His real job is keeping away stray dogs or dingos from calves of my small Organic Beef breeding herd. A large presence has meant that my senior GSD 10 year old has never been challenged. He is about 2" over Show Standard maximums on height and with his big bark, has never been put to the test. One look and they take off, and don't come back..

Suka, further to that, the dominant use is PPD. I will train up my new pup to a dependable level of Personal Protection Dog. In my experience the more trained they are, the less likely they are to do any random act of aggression. Further, the larger, the more intimidating, the less likely they are to be put to the test. In the remote regions of the Outback, it is comforting to have a large presence of a couple of GSDs along sitting around the fire at night. When I am off with the horses for a few hours, no one would attempt to enter the back of my horse float with a large GSD chained up in there either... heh he... I train them to be very protective of my large Rig.. That is the dominant reasons for "Working Dog" for me. Maybe Tracking, Shutzhund, a little.... But Livestock protection and PPD, and size matters!

Kind regards and thank you for your comments... lone Ranger, dancing with wolves and horses out on the Last Frontier..
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ranger - Ohhhhh ! You live so romantically.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
Ranger - Ohhhhh ! You live so romantically.
Hello Suka, I don't know if you are just kidding or what... If I take it seriously, I would say that yes, I left America 25 years ago to raise my Children in a safe environment that was uncrowded... Now with them off on their own, I live as close to "Dances with Wolves" in Australia as I can. I compete Reining Horses in the NRHA, and am on the road a bit. Sooo, these dogs have a real working purpose. Why so large is because it is as close to wolves as is practical, and they are the smartest. My small 14 organic gourmet beef have a few calves a year, and the dogs presence also keeps strays and dingos away.

As to romantic, if you live in Chicago the land of 500 murders a year, it might seem so. But my life is a voluntary step back in time, that is constant work. To me, on the land, it is a passion and not work. But to someone coming from the comforts of the city, 30 acres, 18 stables, dogs and horses, trucks and tractors, might seem like work. To me it is Lifestyle, and there are not enough hours in the day.... Ever..

Anyway, my GSDs are the smartest dog to work in this capacity, personality, presence, and they have a job to do. So I Dance with Wolves in the Outback... I miss some things in America, so went back last July for Cheyenne Frontier Days, and in January to see the Wolves by Arctic Snow Cat and Snowmobile in Yellowstone National Park dead of winter... But in general America has gone too far left and too overcrowded for me... heh he

Back on Topic, Caesar is powering on. I am going back to mostly the Raw Diet. It could be just chance or genetics or a growth spurt, but Caesars littler mate that was smaller and smaller boned, is 19.4 kg where Caesar has dropped back to 17.7 kg this week, picky on his food. I need to alternate the diet a bit and not give a wide selection with every meal. Chicken one day, beef and bone and organ meat another day, and so on.. The Owner of Ollie, is a purist of Raw, and the smaller pup is doing better, probably my fault. I am going away from the kibble, just in case it is the cause. A 1.7 kg difference, could be chance and will reverse, or the pure Raw diet may just be better... We will see.

Kind regards, out on the Last Frontier...
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ranger you have no idea how serious I am. When I read your epiphanic post, I practically swooned. I was in love with the movie "The man from Snowy River" when i was little. The idea of "living off the grid" so to speak, seems to be a supernal existence in my mind and one that I would appreciate every day in your shoes... and you do seem to!

p.s. the annual murder rate disturbs me on the same level as the "throw away attitude" of the average person in this country. people have fallen so far from the source and become so disengaged from food sources, power sources, and from each other as basic human beings that it's appalling.

p.p.s. need some help?

Last edited by Suka; 02-14-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Suka - well my dog is what he is. He is very lean so if I was to knock 20lb of him so he can "fit" the standard he would not be walking
My dog does work on our farm.....we live on a remote farm in Australia where we run sheep. He can be out all day and doesn't miss a beat so his size doesn't seem to hinder him.....I don't care about agility as I don't do it....he would be too big probably but I don't care. He has a wonderful temperament, solid rock nerves, can be worked around 1,000 sheep at a time and is a dream with my children so SIZE is the least of my concerns.

LoneRanger - I feed the dreaded Royal Canin but as you know it is one of the best on the Aussie market......our dogs thrive on it and look amazing.....I just can't be bothered with the whole RAW thing.....I think you do well as Like me it would not be easy to source product where you are at a reasonable price anyway.
I think you and I do live THE LIFE......I see so much horrible stuff in the world and treasure our existence here on the land away from it all......our children are very blessed to grow up here.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Sparra,
I would love to see your GSD working... Maybe could you email me a picture?

Look, Royal Canin smells good to me, I have it, and two others, and I may progress back to dry kibble supplemented by raw, as it is so bloody easy... For now, since I am on the land like you, here is how I manage the Raw Diet:

I may be at an advantage slaughtering my own beef... But here is what I have worked out in a routine over the past five weeks:

I have packaged the beef and bone and small amount of organ meat in about two pound packages, and it is in freezers. I slaughter it and do it in bulk, but you could buy it in and segregate it in packets the same way. One chest freezer is meat alone, one is beef and bone. I take out what I want the day before and let it thaw. I learned the hard way to put it in plastic bags, but also wrap it in the butcher paper or the bags stick together in a lump...

I have one of the little esky type lunch boxes with the folding handle. I put the meat in there when thawed, and in the fridge. Usually I thaw two packs at a time as I feed two adult GSDs and the puppy. I alternate with lamb once a week and chicken once a week, which I buy in a half or dozen packs at a time and freeze. I also buy in brisket bones for the pup, chewy cartiledge. On the lamb I get like a boned cartiledge steak, so there is soft bone to chew on, and the raw chicken in carcasses, again for the bone...I wish we lived closer, as I could trade you beef for lamb.. 2,200 kms away is a bit far, and change of plans I am not going to the Melbourne Caravan Show next month, so that is out the window... heh he..

Anyway I try to thaw a days worth ahead, and wash the lunch box every other day or two. It is a lot of hassle, but I think the raw diet has saved my 10 year old and have a Testimonial on it. Further, overall it HAS to be healthier due to substandard fillers in the dry kibble.

I hope this is a help.. Kind regards, lone Ranger in Queensland
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hello fello Shepherd Lovers....

Wolf Caesar, my new Alpha Dog Candidate for about two years from now... 20 kg at 16 weeks now, is posing for the GSD Goofiest Dogface award... Still on the Raw, with a little kibble, still looking a bit lean, but definitely the goofyest face so far... heh he

Here being a bit submissive to my current 10 y.o. Alpha Male Cody, at about 38 kg... Caesar may never take over, but from my experience Cody will step down if he is still with us, when Caesar his maturity..

Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Definitely a goofy face, haha. He's a great looking boy.
irickchad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Love it! They really can be the goofiest of dogs
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.